Archinect
anchor

I'm so tired of...

4arch

sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours every day. i hate cad and drafting - absolutely despise it. ironically the only thing i enjoy in cad is doing details, the more intricate the better. but other than that i'd much rather be hunched over a table building a model or out in the field arguing with a contractor.

sorry for the rant. i know it's nothing that hasn't been said here before.

Dec 21, 05 9:30 am
SuperHeavy

I'm 1.5 years out of undergrad, going back to school in August (assuming I get in somewhere) and figuratively bash my head against a CAD file 8 hours a day. I just interviewed for a 3 month intern position in China. I couldn't tell how well it went, but the interviewer kept emphasizing I would be doing all the designing over there and saw I had no PROFESSIONAL design experience.

I'm not out of the running or anything, my portfolio showed a good deal of thought and process I think, just a little frustrating. it's not my goal to be forever a 'production' employee.

-disgruntled monkey

Dec 21, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Watch out in China! Our firm was interviewed to design a handful of custom, modern residences that would in turn become spec-homes for a new development.

At the interview, we learned that after schematic design, our drawings would be handed over to the Chinese gov't at which time gov't employeed draftspeople, architects, and engineers would complete the construction drawings and details.

We declined the job.

Getting back to the original topic - You just have to pay your dues "pumping the CAD" for a couple years. It's a fact of life early on in the profession. However, if you work for a small firm (say <10 people), you'll get exposed to a variety of tasks and responsibilities.

Dec 21, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

yeah, i definitely get the 'dues paying', understandable. I guess my frustration stems from two points,
one being that at my current firm, the work done is beyond unstimulating.
the other point is that i finally find someone who wants me to think, to design, and i might have lost the ability to convince them that's been my desire all along.

as to the china thing, thanks for the heads up but this is a stint with a company that's been doing it for awhile and have all those points well ironed out. that and I'd be in it for the life experience as much the work.

Dec 21, 05 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: