Archinect
anchor

WHY architecture?

bowling_ball

I have one year to go before I enter architecture school (for my Master's). I've been thinking long and hard about why I want to do this for the rest of my life... or at least why I want to go back to school and work my ass off all over again.

So.. why originally attracted you to architecture? And as a follow-up, what keeps you there? What's your motivation as a professional?

Dec 20, 05 9:56 pm
myriam

tis the season of mid-life crises, apparently

Dec 20, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I didn't know that was really possible at 26 years old.

Thanks for the support, though.

Dec 20, 05 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

it's the quarter-life crisis, all the rage.

Dec 20, 05 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

www.quarterlifecrisis.com

I can't imagine they have a section for us, though.

Dec 20, 05 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I give up. You guys are impossible!

Dec 20, 05 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Sorry, it's late. Try again tomorrow morning when we'd much rather be talking about this than working.

Dec 20, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

I showed up too late for everything else.

Dec 20, 05 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

yep yep wonderk, that's it

/6, just that there's been a nasty spate of soul-searching lately... it's an itchy rash that just won't seem to go away.

Dec 20, 05 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

and alot of bitterness too.

Dec 21, 05 12:04 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Ah, well, I am very new here (and not even new to the profession just yet) so I suppose I'm still learning the ropes.

One of my biggest passions is riding my motorcycle. I live in Canada. The www motorcycle forum I frequent is full of people who miss the nice weather, and I'm in the same boat. Maybe I should have expected the same of architects - this time of year can get anybody down.

Happy Holidays, everybody.

Dec 21, 05 1:53 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'll come clean.

The reason I asked this question isn't because I'm "soul searching." It's because I'm going back to school next year, and I'm currently reading "Architect?" I'm most of the way through, and I haven't been at all discouraged from architecture. But it does mention realities like low wages, job satisfaction, etc....

And that's why I asked what sustains all of you architects. What drew you to the profession in the first place?

I'm more looking for answers from real people, even if I have never met a single one of you.

And that's that. From what I've read on this forum so far, you're a great bunch of people, and I look forward to contributing in the future, both as a voyeur, a student, and eventually, as an architect!

Dec 21, 05 1:57 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

I did it for the chicks.

Oh and that satisfaction I get out of using my brain for something creative every day. Even if it is just drawing floor plans.

Dec 21, 05 2:26 am  · 
 · 
upside

what other profession allows you to take an active interest in other fields as part of your own, music, science, philosphy,politics, art, nature. architecture is the coalescence of all forms of knowledge and expression.

Dec 21, 05 2:57 am  · 
 · 
upside

think i just gagged on my own wank.

Dec 21, 05 2:58 am  · 
 · 
meta

and
the
mother
of
all
arts

Dec 21, 05 5:00 am  · 
 · 
ac.kee

we are in the same boat my friend somedays i would much rather be kiteboarding than at a computer slaving........

Dec 21, 05 7:10 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

it starts with

A

Dec 21, 05 8:51 am  · 
 · 
distant

the fundamental source of happiness or satisfaction with one's career certainly varies from individual to individual, so all i can do is share my own personal views

i became an architect because i was fascinated by the process of creativity and construction. i left the profession TWICE in search of greater economic rewards. i came back TWICE because i simply missed the day-to-day involvement with an interesting process and an interesting bunch of people

every career has its problems ... i have stayed with architecture because i am personally fulfilled by the chance to work with great clients and the opportunity to work on great projects

in this forum you will read a great deal of bitching and grumbling about architecture as a career choice ... you also will read some tremendously fulfilling case studies from people who understand why they do what they do ... you will read threads from people who work hard at their craft (art ?) and who don't allow the weaknesses in the career path to drag them down into the gutter of depression ...

i believe people of this latter sort look to those parts of our profession that are good and fulfilling and find that enough ... i place myself in that group

Dec 21, 05 9:05 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

its very chic to be an architect

Dec 21, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

i like/prefer to have a physical result of my work.
Accountants, insurance salesman, IT guys, etc, don't have the feeling of driving by a building they designed/built 5, 10, 20 years down the road and see how its being enjoyed.

Dec 21, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Because in architecture, whether you are the monkiest of cad monkeys, or the starriest of starchitects, you are involved in the 5000 year-old noble tradition of transforming nature into built form.

There are no limits to your education. You have to decide where you want to be in this profession, or in lieu of that, decide where you dont want to be, and then make sure you do everything in your power to make that happen.

No matter what happens - if you stay or if you go, your education will help you to occupy this earth in a meaningful way.

Dec 21, 05 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
spirk

I went into architecture quite unknowingly. I had a high school teacher that told me I was good at design and drafting. So, i looked into architecture. Went to community college got an Associates degree...then went to Architecture school and got my Bachelors and then grad school.

I didn't really know what architecture was truly about till my Second year of undergrad. Growing up in MI in the 80's there wasn't much design and the only real city was Detroit...and I never went down there until I was in college.

Therefore, I was clueless.

However, over the last 10 years (since I finished my undergrad degree) I have found out what I love about architecture. Sure I like the flashy buildings by the so-called starchitects...but I love the process of planning a building. This is why i am working in healthcare design. Hospitals are huge...and there is a great deal of interaction between the different functions of the facility. The other great thing about healthcare is that your building can make a difference in someone's life. The doctor's and nurses's that work there everyday. To the pateint that goes there for treatment. A well designed facility can help improve the healing process.

At the last firm I worked at I heard people complain almost daily about how much they hated architecture. How they hated the contractors, the owners, the terrible pay. My response to them "quit".

"Nobody is forcing you to be here"

I may have stumbled into architecture with a blindfold on...and may not have gone to a top 10 architecture school. But I love this profession...there is a not a single thing I would rather do.

Sorry for the legthy post.

By the way, I have been lurking on this site for a couple years now, not really contributing. But I think I have found my voice...

so until later...

Dec 21, 05 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
myriam
what other profession allows you to take an active interest in other fields as part of your own, music, science, philosphy,politics, art, nature. architecture is the coalescence of all forms of knowledge and expression.

Well said, this is precisely what I love best, too. The prince of all trades!! I get to do something different all the time. Part of the day I'm on site, part of the day I'm drawing, part of the day I'm talking to clients, part by myself, part chitchatting with contractors (part yelling at them and having authority!), part sifting through hardware samples and being absorbed in figuring out how something works and getting all excited about using it in some new and different way in a project...

I love my job. It's fun. It pays well, too, which is good, because I have a lot of student loans to pay off!

Dec 21, 05 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

damn legos

Dec 24, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: