Archinect
anchor

looking for new work in chicago

lletdownl

Hello everyone,

I am a 5th year about to graduate in May and am hoping to find a new job. My hope is to find a job at a firm i would like to stay at once i graduate. I currently am working at a small firm, and have been for a year. I feel as if i need a new experience.

The question for all the chicago archinecters ( as i know there are many of us ) is this.

1) What is the best way for me to apply out for a part time job this spring semester? In previous posts there seemed to be a lot of approval for Emailing PDF Resumes. So, if i decide to Email, should i wait for a response? or should i follow up? if i follow up, how much time should i allow for a response without seeming impatient.
or, is emailing a resume not the best option? any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2) I have several firms picked out that i plan on applying to, but any suggestions from the lot of you that have either worked at firms, know people who have, or have heard of firms that are student friendly, or are in current need of a student with good experience?

3) Do i even have a chance getting a job for a firm i really like if i dont have a friend on the inside already? (seems all my friends got thier jobs through friends)

firms i plan on applying to
landon bonebrake
studio gang (have a friend there)
murphy jahn (ditto)
garofalo architects
perkins and will
krueck and sexton
and more

sorry for the long post... honestly i just have no experiecne with this process so ANY help would be greatly appreciated

Dec 20, 05 2:11 pm
lletdownl

thought id give this one more shot

Dec 21, 05 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Pimpanzee

Why does Studio Gang keep popping-up along side firms like Murphy/Jahn, + Perkins/Will (among others). They ARE getting alot of press these days, but is it REALLY a great place to work? Do they have work?
Just curious.

Dec 21, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymous

They do have work and are awesome to work with. Plus are hiring. So to lend a helping hand here's some answers to your questions.

1. Use the connections you have. I've never gotten a job unless it was through someone I knew that worked there. For me it's great to hear real stories about the type of work, office environment, etc. from someone in the trenches and not from their website.

Once you have evaluated whether or not you want to work at a certain firm have your friend on the inside give a heads up to whoever does the hiring (margaret in Studio Gang) that you will be sending in your information to apply for a position. Or just print it out and have them hand it in for you. Cover letter, Resume/C.V., and some "teaser" pages (2 or 3) all in one PDF should do the job. Your teaser pages may have alot of graphics and make it difficult to e-mail. In this case I'd suggest printing them out and getting to your friend to hand in. If you really want to work there and since it's all here in Chicago. Print them out and drop off at the office yourself. That's better than shrinking the size of your files to e-mail and risking pixalation.

2. As for the student friendly I can only talk about Studio Gang which is where I first worked. It's sink or swim. Don't expect to have your hand held and do expect to adapt to new things getting thrown at you from all directions. However, I found it to be the most innovative and motivating environment I've been a part of or seen. I think it will be a rewarding experience and you should jump in and give it a shot.

3. As to having a shot. Friends always help, not only give you insight on the reality of working somewhere. Plus the firm knows that someone referred by a current employee will ensure that you are a good fit for the office. And since you're friends it's not a stretch that you should have similar work ethics/drive and hence be a great addition for the office.

Good luck on your applications and keep us up to date.

Dec 21, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

hey, thanks all who have ever posted on good application methods.
just recieved word that ive been offered a part time position at a firm i actually wanted to work for!
it works out perfectly, perhaps they will offer me a full time job in may... when i must enter the real world without school

thanks again to everyone, all the advice in all the related topics were VERY VERY helpful

Jan 11, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Every job I got downtown with large firms ironically was by walking in the door and dropping off a resume and letter. After working there and watching the resume Fax bin fill up each day and get dumped, physical presence, friend or internal email - get to the source- is the best rout.

Congrats Ll

Jan 11, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

thats exactly how this one worked out...

anyway...

part 2 now.

whos worked for murphy/jahn... im sure there are tons of people on here who have or are.
whats the take? good place to work? bad place? the kind of place i would want to work at after graduation? (if they offer me a job which they may not)
any input is appreciated!
thanks again

Jan 11, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

lletdowl, not sure how committed you are to this crazy murphy jahn guy (cmon, it's John, no reason to be cute, sheesh). But there is this hot young designer doing all sorts of trendy high design work.
Check him out.

You're licensed right?

Jan 11, 06 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

SH you are one serious smartass! ;-)

Congrats lletdownl on the new gig!! I am certain you will impress the hell out of them (as you did me).

Jan 11, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

lletdownl>

A good friend of mine from college, who I've since lost touch with, had a knack for getting in with really large, high profile firms. He wanted access to all the big name projects and through diligence and persistence, he got them. It also helped that he was a nice guy.

Anyway, he worked for Murphy Jahn for a couple of co-op quarters and basically described a somewhat hellish atmosphere. I hate to perpetuate the stereotype but it sounded like, from his description, that they had no problem using intern architects like drones, working them to the bone, and paying them very little. Also I think they were mean. No really. Anyway, I worked with him at a later job (another high profile firm, and a much better workplace) and he told me all of this then.

However they do have some outstanding projects and are doing a lot of work in the sustainability realm, so who's to say what kind of experience you'll have or what you'll be able to work on, esp. if you are looking at a longer term. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jan 11, 06 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, yes, liberty bell and I follow each other around the board and often do tag team "thread hijacking".....whoops i did it again

love you lb :oP

Jan 11, 06 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes - I stalk several of my favorite 'necters around the boards and WonderK, sending love right backatcha - you are my #1!!!!

(Only I didn't include you in a song lyric like someone else we love.)

Jan 11, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Murphy Jahn...

Think Ben Hur! ;-)

Jan 12, 06 4:13 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

haha, wow thanks everyone for the insight... they werent top of my list on places id like to work, and ive heard the slave driver analogy before... but anything is better than the firm im at now...

someone tell landon bone baker to hire me!

can i get away with a "ive been offered another job, but i would rather work for you, do you need an intern???" email? or is that no good
haha

Jan 12, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think these guys are hiring...

Jan 12, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: