Archinect
anchor

Landscape Architecture Books

quixotica

So for my family's polyana, I picked my Aunt as the person I need to get a present for. Shes studying to be a Landscape Architect, so being the only other Designer in the family, I figured it would be a perfect time to get her a nice landscape architecture book. Anyone have any suggestions? Books that could relate to both Architecture and Landscape architecture would be nice, or just a decent book all about landscape architecture. Thanks.

Dec 20, 05 9:26 am
frontline

Its always a hard thing to find a good landscape book - but over my years I have come across the following books that I think are about meaningful and idea driven landscape architecture. They are probably in a rough order:

Room 4.1.3 : Innovations in Landscape Architecture, Richard Weller

Recovering Landscape, James Corner (ed)

Taking Measure: Across the American Landscape, James Corner + Alex S Maclean

The Enclosed Garden, Rob Aben + Saskia de Wit

Kienast Vogt (Any of the Birkhauser Publications), Dieter Kienast

Architecture + Landscape, Clemens Steenbergen + Wouter Reh

Inside Outside: Between Architecture and Landscape, Anita Berrizbeitia and Linda Pollak

Dec 20, 05 10:44 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Thanks Frontline, this will certainly help.

Dec 20, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 

i'll second most of frontline's suggestions...

For me, "Recovering Landscape" is a must read for architects and landscape architects...

Taking Measure: Across the American Landscape is fantastic. I think that Alex Maclean has published another similar book, but I haven't seen it.

I would also recommend two books by Jane Amidon. The first is a monograph of the great Dan Kiley. It is entitled "Dan Kiley: The Complete Works of America's Master Landscape Architect". The second is "Radical Landscapes: Reinventing Outdoor Space". It has a lot of really cool contemporary projects.

Dec 20, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Thanks Architphil

I ordered Recovering Landscape from amazon (next day shipping cost almost as much as the book itself did. grr stupid waiting to the last minute) I was thinking of also getting her Maya Lin's Boundaries. Kinda pricey for a used copy but she is one of my favorite aunts and it is one of my favorite architectural books, haven't read it in a while though, anyone feel that it has significance to landscape architecture?

Dec 20, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
bb8

i second Recovering Landscape by Corner...not pretty, but well written

Dec 20, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

how about J.B. Jackosn?

Dec 20, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

or Jackson...either way...

Dec 20, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

yeah...anything by John Brinckerhoff would be good

Dec 20, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
anti

I highly reccomend "The language of landscape" by Anne Whiston Spirn

Dec 20, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

some others:

i havent read this one yet, is it good? landscape urbanism: a manual for the machinic landscape

for some tangential thought/inspiration: simon schama's landscape and memory

for a great case study: downsview park

for something graphics-inspired: everyone loooves yves brunier

landscape also has its very own press: spacemaker

and here's a reading list from penn
(would be curious to see other school-lists)

Dec 21, 05 9:42 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

I'd recommend Kathryn Gustafson - awesome landscape architect that thinks architecturally... beautiful work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3764324252/qid=1135188029/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7719496-7145764?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Dec 21, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: