Archinect
anchor

Prefabrication

ambient

what's up everyone.

I'm not an architect or architecture student, I am just curious about buying a prefab home.
I've been reading through old posts trying to figure out the difference between prefabrication, modular housing, and manufactured housing.
I found out that the only difference between modular and manufactured is a building code. Can anyone give me a clear definition of prefab and how it relates to modular and manufactured housing?

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Dec 14, 05 11:55 am
ambient

I just found this on the fabprefab website but am still unsure:

prefab home = "kit home" = "panelized home" = "pre-cut home" = on-site assembly from prefab components.

The components are either generally available when the structure is designed or they are created specifically for the project (i.e. designed for reproduction)

Dec 14, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

It's all pretty much the same - pre-fabricated refers to major components which are built off-site, usually in a warehouse/factory somewhere and assembled on site. Modular refers to the design, which can be made up of repeatable components arranged in different configurations, and manufactured once again means built off-site and trucked in.
In the architecture world, "pre-fab" seems to be used recently by architects trying out "modern" designs (which are generally not widely available and as much if not more expensive than stick-built houses (meaning on-site by a contractor & subs), as opposed to manufactured housing, which would refer to more traditional designs which are now widely available and less expensive than stick-built housing. Modular tends to be used for manufactured buildings such as school trailers, that come in a few different shapes and window/door configurations and can be placed together depending on need, but could really refer to any pre-fab/manufactured housing offered in multiple 'modules'.
I'm sure other posters on here are more knowledgable than myself, but I don't think at this time that prefab houses are less expensive than stick-built, and in fact they may be more expensive, once you factor in the foundation, sitework (electrical, plumbing, etc.), assembly and finish work (which will still be required, even if it's minimal compared to standard construction). Theoretically you would save some time, but other than that I'm not sure of the benefit (esp. because you're paying the same amount for something that isn't even a 'custom' design). Of course costs will vary immensely depending on your location and building code requirements as well as labor and land costs... 'Manufactured' housing, on the other hand, will be cheaper, but you're looking at traditional style double-wide trailers...

Dec 14, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
ambient

Thank you that clears things up considerably.

Dec 14, 05 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

If it's pre-fab, it might be modular, but it's definitely manufactured.
If it's modular, you can bet it's also pre-fab, and will soon very probably be manufactured.
If it's manufactured, make real sure it's modular, and have them throw in a splash of pre-fab for looks.

Dec 14, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

As far as cost is concerned, Rocio Romero's site claims to ship an entire structure for ~$35k, with a total installed cost of arount of $90-120k. Check it out...

Jan 10, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

also check this out prefab rehab

Jan 10, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
trace™
www.livemodern.com

is also a great resource. Look the Glidehouse, Breezehouse, and Dwell house.

Jan 11, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
rutger

Sorry, no definitions here, but a link to
inhabitat which features many prefab projects and links.

Jan 11, 06 9:56 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

manufactured housing is goverened by the Manufactured Housing Construction Standard which is a federal stanard based upon ANSI. I believe the financing of structures built under that code is different since the structures aren't as, well, robust.

Jan 11, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: