Archinect
anchor

DESIGNING MY DESIGN PROCESS

ohnokono

So this is my third semester in architecture and I am just now starting to notice consistencies in my design process. However there are areas where i get stuck and i was hoping that you all could offer me some advice or designers to reference or share your design process as i know I'm at the beginning of developing my own process.

So first i start with the site obviously then comes my concept which i spend a fair amount of time thinking through and which i always assign a function. This function usually slows me down because i was under the impression that my concept should solve a problem, such as sound pollution or a better circulation or allowing more light in and i try to apply this in the most practical manner and problem solve. I'm coming to realize that this may not be the case and that

good design doesn't = functionality

well thats a start hopefully ill get some comments and i can go into the rest of my process

(virtual desk crit) haha

Dec 7, 11 1:47 pm
snail

I remember having a similar problem during my first design studio. I think that maybe you should try to interpret function more broadly - the problems which your designs solve aren't always going to be purely quantitative/measurable issues, but rather more abstract ideas like (just examples that come to mind from my own studio projects) "communion with nature" or "promoting the self-expression of a local culture that has been subordinated by globalization." Once you come up with a larger conceptual idea, there are ways to integrate more practical/technical functions into your projects in directions that support and enhance your general thesis.

Dec 7, 11 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: