Archinect
anchor

Job titles

Raskol44

It seems designers extend their creativity to their job titles.  While I encourage everyone to think outside the box, it does not help in the application process if there is no common agreement as to what ´junior´ or ´senior´ really means.  Does anyone know of an agreed standard for job titles in the architecture/design industry?  Do you think it helps to have them?

Dec 6, 11 3:24 pm
Urbanist

typical in many (but not all) mid-sized and large corporate firms:

junior arch/designer = Arch I/Designer I (0-5 years), can include some funky titles like Job Captain

intermediate arch/designer = Arch II/Designer II (5-10/12 years), can include some with the title Project Manager or Deputy Project Manager

senior arch = Arch III (10/12+ years), includes Senior Project Managers and Senior Design Managers, senior arch IIIs at many firms also hold titled grades (such as Associate, Sr Associate, Associate Principal, etc, etc) however they do not have to (generally, you are promoted to Arch III and then promoted again, as an Arch III, to the titled grades)

Licensure may be required for promotion beyond certain grades at some firms (and certainly to Principal), but there is often no distinction in salary or promotions between licensed and unlicensed professionals at below Arch III.

Hope that clears things up.

Dec 6, 11 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

My experience has been:

Junior Architect =1-2 Yrs

Intermediate (Job Captain) = 3-8 Yrs

Senior = 8+ Years

Titles often do not match the years of experience....

Typical titles = Drafter / Junior Architect / Job Captain / Project Manager / Associate / Associate Principal / Principal (Owner)

Dec 30, 11 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: