Archinect
anchor

co-housing

x-jla

Anyone know of any architecturally significant co-housing developments in the U.S?  Anyone know how these developments work as far as raising funding to build?  Are they typically built by a developer and sold or is money put together by the future residents?  I tried looking for this info online but cant find much....

Dec 6, 11 1:39 pm
alex2

We have a very nice co-housing project here in Saugerties, NY. The group is called Cantine's Island Co-Housing.  The build most of the houses using architect-designed  modular construction.  About 18 units.  Original owners put up the money.  Two of the more recent houses and the common house are stick built.

Jan 29, 13 1:25 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Massachusetts is a hot bed of co-housing.  A firm I worked for back in the end of the last century was working with this guy Bruce, on a project.  It was early design development and was being driven by the owner of our firm. So we did a lot of looking in from the outside. Which I always found a little odd.  Seems like he would have wanted his people in the firm to be more involved.  Anyhow for what is is worth. I believe he has also written a couple books about co-housing.

http://www.coldhamandhartman.com/about.php

Jan 29, 13 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: