Archinect
anchor

Internship in Philadelphia for a foreigner?

avy!

Few months ago, I started to look for an internship in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, I'm French. I have a MArch and about two years of experience, but I believe it doesn't count.

So far, I sent my resume to forty firms, which is not a lot, I agree. But I had only four NOs and one interview that didn't give anything.

Despite the US system and the economic situation, I'd like to know if there is a chance for me to find an intern postion for at least six months, or if I'd better change my plans. Do you have any idea or recommandation?

Apr 15, 11 2:51 pm
Token AE

Philadelphia isn't a great area to be in right now, and really wasn't before the recession either.

I worked at EwingCole for a bit- the architecture side of the establishment heavily favored UPenn students. The only people that were on any sort of advancement track were from Penn, while other local university graduates were typically production and capped out at middle management. When the time came to cut staff in the recession, having gone to Penn did not save anyone from the axe, if you happen to be in that camp.

The engineering side of things (where I was at the time) was much more open and based on actual ability instead of where your diploma was from. There was a a very clear focus on production, which is to be expected at a place like that.

From what I have seen, cronyism like this is rampant throughout the city (for architects)- many of the firms will only hire you if you went to Penn, while conversely a few loathe their graduates and will not hire you if you went there. Sort of a strange marketplace.

A general identification tip: design firms with the pro-PennDesign slant always lack a space between their names for some reason- e.g. EwingCole, KieranTimberlake, KlingStubbins. 

You might have a better shot with a CM if you have to be in Philadelphia and your spoken English is excellent. 

Apr 15, 11 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Addendum: Not to imply that there weren't non UPenn principals there, but the overwhelming majority were.

Edit: Forgot about the new edit function. Blargh.

Apr 15, 11 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: