Archinect
anchor

AIA, to be or not to be?

CrazyHouseCat

What is everyone's take on whether it's worth the money to join the AIA?

I've just completed all my test (ARE + CSE for California).  While I'm waiting for my official license to arrive, I'm pondering the benefit of joining the AIA.

I understand there are clearer advantages if you are senior level architect, deal with client / marketing, or own your own practice, etc.  But for the rest of us who are just employees at firms, what are the advantages of joining the AIA? 

It's probably a little more recognizable to be "AIA" vs. "Registered Architects", "RA", "NCARB", etc.  But from a future or currently employer point of view, how much does that really matter?  Are there other considerations that make and "AIA" clearly better than the rest?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Dec 5, 11 4:54 pm
quizzical

Employers will care about this only to the extent you actually use your membership to do something meaningful, other than receive mail.

Like any voluteer organization, the value of membership in the AIA is in direct proportion to your level of participation. If you engage with your local chapter, volunteer to serve on committees, get out of the office and meet other members of the profession, attend AIA programs and events, etc. you will find the experience can be quite broadening and educational. But, it does take time and it does require some reasonable amount of commitment.

If you're only interested in being a "mailbox member" so you can place AIA behind your name, then the designation will mean little to you or to anybody else.

Dec 5, 11 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

It is MUCH cooler to put "Architect" after your name than AIA....save your coin, don't join.

Dec 5, 11 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with quizzical. The value (in my opinion) is more in the local chapter and how involved you become and the opportunities it gives you. My involvement in my the Chicago chapter a few years back was invaluable in my career. If your local chapter is doing good work and you are getting involved by all means join. If not, then there is little point. 

Dec 5, 11 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

I wouldn't want to belong to any group that would have a person like me as a member.

Dec 6, 11 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
job job

Don't join.

Congratulations on completing all requirements for California. I enjoyed the interview exam the most - do they still conduct it in a hotel room?

You should be very pleased but don't let it influence you in buying into AIA. The annual fees are ridiculous, as are the continuing ed credits (CA already has this requirement). Their Design Vanguard that showcases young talent does not require an AIA membership, so unless you really want to join the state chapter as council member, there's little point.

CrazyHouseCat, Architect - has a good ring. Congrats again

Dec 6, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: