Archinect
anchor

So ... who's expecting some serious jack, come bonus time ?

Rim Joist

Similar situation to A ----- last year I got 2500... this year I've heard some whining in the front office, so perhaps thoughout 2006, and in lieu of actual cash money, I shall be gratefully enjoying the "Jelly-of-the-Month" club...

Dec 16, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

A: I am expecting somewhere around 10k this year (at least I'm hoping...) My base salary is in the mid-range, or perhaps slightly below average, for my position/experience level, in my city, in a small firm. I work an average of 45 hours per week, but occasionally less or more depending on project load. The firm tends to keep base salaries fairly low and constant (I haven't had a raise to my base salary in a couple of years) but emphasizes that everyone in the firm is responsible for profitability and that the results will be divided equitably at the end of the year.
In past years this has worked out well for me - my bonus amount has always put my total earnings into a range that is above average. Of course there is some risk in this system in that if we do have a bad year we will all be relying on only our slightly low base salaries...

As has been said already, there are as many variations out there as there are firms. I already mentioned the firm that gave me $50 and a box of candy! But I have worked in several larger firms in which the principals' base salaries are fairly low - sometimes about the same as what their project managers make, not breaking 6 figures - but their year-end bonuses are often several times their annual salaries (sometimes several hundred thousand dollars.)
But larger bonuses aren't necessarily limited to principals and senior-level staff. I worked in one firm in which the profesional staff's bonuses were determined in part by how much overtime they'd worked that year, and some interns and CAD staff received amounts well over 10k, mainly because they'd worked hundreds of hours of overtime.

Dec 16, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

We have a direct equation for awarding bonuses based on the projects you worked on and their profitability. Works for me.

I got $25 once (elsewhere)

Dec 17, 05 12:40 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Strawbeary ... welcome back ... how's the new job going ?

Dec 17, 05 11:22 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

A-
Essentialy you're right. I posted with one of those nice sized bonuses. Pretty much everything has said has been fairly accuate, this was at a small firm where I didn't get any othe rbenefits to speak of, no insurance, no 401k, etc. It was basically a 2 person shop while I was there, me and the boss. My base salary always seemed to be more than my peers, but considering what I wasn't getting in benefits it probably leveled out. There were also plenty of 60+ hour weeks, but also freedom to take a day or 2 off when needed.

I also used to work for a 100+ person firm that had awesome benefits and bonuses based on billable hours. It was decent but I got screwed a couple times since my 3D skills had several of the partners asking that I work on thier marketing stuff, not billable, so in actual hours worked I was WAY into a higher bonus tier, but ended up getting a mercy bonus from the partner I worked most closely with, which I felt was a very decent move on his part.

Dec 17, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Woo hoo! I wasn't expecting some serious jack and got some anyway! Woo hoo!!!

Dec 17, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Congrats garpike. Drinks on you.

Dec 17, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

quizzical. I'm doing damn fine, thanks for asking.

Dec 17, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Working for an infamous Miami firm, I once got a day planner for my end of year bonus. Bernardo - you are a jerk-ass.

Now working for a firm that has paid out a couple grand for the last few years - can't complain.

Dec 17, 05 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Thanks, Strawbeary. Drinks all around!

Dec 19, 05 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
brickhouse

i am expecting some serios jack in my dookie-hole

Dec 20, 05 10:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Not expecting anything - one of the downsides of self-employment. A hard adjustment to make after a $10,000 bonus from my former firm last year...oh well. The other benefits of self-employment are still pretty damn great!

Dec 20, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
ret

i got a 50$ gift card for food4less/ralphs for thankgiving.

downside: i was so excited with the gift, i ended up buying groceries for 150$.
But i cherish the small bottle of Maker's Mark that got me.

i hope i get another one for christmas. I'm running low on the WHISKEY, (*wipes bourbon dipped moustache with fist and ends up poking nose with pencil*)
and its getting mighty cold in LA (*curses the fool who called it "sunny CA'*)

Dec 20, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

The reality exceeded expectations this year. I may finally start to win my own personal war on debt...
I hope all did well this year.

Dec 31, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

no bonus

Dec 31, 05 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Bonus...Yep...Self Employeed....Bonus is being Self Employeed!

Dec 31, 05 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

hahahah. serious jack come bonus time? i thought this was a forum for architecture, not finance.

Dec 31, 05 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: