Archinect
anchor

what would you do?

dml955i

A little background: I'm 7 years out of school w/ a BArch. I spent my first 4.5 years busting my butt as an intern and project architect at a great design firm (they won the AIA firm of the year award in the early/mid 90s) and I've been at a small, up-and-coming firm for the last 2.5 years. In that 2.5 year span, I've still busted my butt and have been the project architect/manager on two successful projects that have won awards and will be published in the mags or books. Also, I'm two tests shy of being licensed.

Each year, I've received stellar employee reviews, significant bumps in salary, and somewhat increased responsibility. At my last annual review, I expressed to my principal that I would like to take on a managerial role with more exposure to the "front end" of a project (attending interviews, helping to prepare prelim. budgets) and do less drafting. My principal agreed and indicated that that's exactly where they saw me headed.

Well, it's been nearly a year, we've gotten really busy (I've got 4 projects on my plate) and I'm still doing all my own grunt/drafting work and haven't been to any of the dozens of interviews my principal has had. The work is piling up and we haven't hired any interns to put a dent in the workload.

I'm at the point in my career and life that I'm no longer willing to sacrifice my evenings and weekends so I can come into the office and draft my life away...

As Napoleon would say, "What the heck would you do in a situation like that?!?"

Dec 6, 05 8:54 pm
bucku

i was interning at this spot and just quit due to similar circumstances. im still in school and couldnt quite put up with the crap, so i cant quite imagine doing that sort for seven more years.
id consider a local change [firm]

Dec 6, 05 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

i would take it easy........ur life is great,
enjoy the holidays,
tell ur superior of the situation again,
if then it dont go where u wanna
leave

Dec 6, 05 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
e909

what would jesus do? oh yeah, he-she was just a carpenter (or something)

if you could find the time (sorry to mention that), then you should be able to assemble a very sellable portfolio. let the competing firms check you out.

but you probably don't have time to read this thread. :-)

Dec 6, 05 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

dml, it sounds like you need another sit down with your employers to explain to them what you just told us.

If the firm is really busy they might just be concentrating on managing the work load, not thinking about keeping their employees motivated and happy. Being gently proactive might make them realize they need to keep their employees happy or they could be facing a sudden loss of people when they are most needed.

I'd agree with the suggestion to wait til after the holidays - then approach it as a sort of new year's goal to your employers that you need to get more and varied expereince as you are on the verge of being licensed. I'm sure you are valuable to them and if you have a constructive discussion with them - not a confrontation - they will most likely be reminded of the promises they made to you at your last review and will work to implement them.

And, yes, it can't hurt to put together a portfolio and go to an interview or two just to see what your market value is - that's a good exercise for everyone every few years, IMO - but if you generally like working there don't use it as a threat, just as a reminder to your employers that you are valubale and if they want to keep you they need to show it.

Dec 6, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
stone
dml955i

-- you say you discussed with your boss your desire to "take on a managerial role" ... what is a manager ? ... here's one definition:

"Management means, in the last analysis, the substitution of thought for brawn and muscle, of knowledge for folkways and superstition, and of cooperation for force. It means the substitution of responsibility for obedience to rank, and of authority of performance for the authority of rank." ... Peter Drucker

to become a manager, you have to become a manager ... i know that sounds like a paradox ... but, managers figure out solutions and make things happen ...

with all due respect, it sounds to me like you continue to do your same old job in the same old way, waiting for somebody else to "make" you a manager ...

i believe you will have to find your own solution to this delimma ... that is what managers do ... figure out a way for somebody else to take over some of the grunt work (that will improve the economics of your projects) ... put yourself in a position where the partner "has" to involve you in important meetings (that will show both interest and initiative) ...

dml955i ... you need to make this happen yourself ... you can't wait on somebody else to make you a manager !

Dec 7, 05 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

As the Queen of England I can tell you that there are may issues I am unaware of. Tell the partners the situation, they likely do not know the extreme workload you and the others are burdened with.

Dec 7, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
digger
stone

has it right - you've got to take charge of the situation and make happen those things that need to happen in order for your role in the firm to grow - check around and see if you can't find a good person the firm might want to hire to help you out - make a case that you can do a lot, lot more for the firm if you has some help - don't just ask for more responsibility, take it on - in most situations, you don't need permission to take on more responsibility - you just need to do it - everyone will be both grateful and pleased.

Dec 11, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
e909
make happen those things that need to happen in order for your role in the firm to grow

freaky coincidence, that this thread shows some relevance
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=30708_0_42_0_C

Jan 3, 06 12:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: