Archinect
anchor

extreme cold - Architecture

bigness

does anyone have any good resources on building in extreme cold climate? designs, materials, technologies...
I am obviously googling this (the british antarctic competition etc.) but any other ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Nov 29, 05 7:44 pm
Medit

maybe looking for some Sverre Fehn projects would be helpful regarding the designing aspects..

I found this curious landscape project -a Fehn homage- while Googling..:

http://www.minus.as/landart/fjerland.html

Nov 30, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Harbin, Manchuria - ice festiva

ICE HOTEL IN JUKKASJÄRVI

Nov 30, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Richard Horden -- in the XS book...

Nov 30, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Check out Ralph Erskine.
He made many designs for places like Lapland, some are pretty cool.
Website doesn't show much of the projects, but there are many books about his work.

Here's an example, the borga fjallhotell in Lapland.

btw. this was designed/build in 1948 !

Nov 30, 05 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Today in the archi-news newsletter I noticed this exhibition that might be interesting:
Extreme North : design et architecture de Norvège (28/10-08/01/2006) Gand (Gent) Design Museum, Belgium

Dec 1, 05 9:52 am  · 
 · 
bigness

thanks thans and thanks!

Dec 1, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

go intern in iceland?

Dec 1, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

bucky fuller designed a ten story apartment tower out of metal that could be transferred to extreme climates by zepplin

Dec 2, 05 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 2, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

steven ward: no, doing a uni project in lappland!
i'm developing a material system, trying to develop a material/formal arrangement that can help keeping the snow off the facade of a building, sort of an advanced cladding system. I've been trying to work with aerodynamics so far (increasing turbolence to keep the snow off) but it's taking time, and i haven't managed to find any mterial/assembly research or resources to build on.

Dec 2, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

high altitude arch is a very thin field. there is a guy in my m arch program who grew up in alaska--the high school he went to was designed by a california firm and had breezeways between all the classrooms! anchorage is covered in glass office towers, too.

Dec 2, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

why try to keep the snow off? maybe take advantage of the insulating qualities of the snow rather than try to fight it?

just thinking out loud, I've been in snow up to my ears all morning

Dec 2, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

the first part of the project was a shelter
and the surface was working by keeping snow off up to a certain wind speed (around 50 km/m, threshold for blizzards) and then favouring the accumulation of it, for exactly the reasons you quoted fro9k.
now i'm trying to turn this into a cladding system, but it's for another cours, and it's kind of a one liner, since i'm supposed to test it in a virtual environment, i decided to go for the "keep the snow off" option, rather than "keep the snow on"

Dec 2, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: