Archinect
anchor

how to ask for a teaching position

bigness

how does one go about asking for a part time teaching position in his BA university?
I mean, if I was still studyig there then it would be easy, but since I have moved out...
(It's common practice in the uk for smaller uni's to have dip students assisting the main tutors in the BA design studios)
Do I email the head of the faculty?
do I email the tutors i have stayed in touch with?
do I send y resume in?
I never knew how to deal with this situation, and I could really do with some help, specially if you've done this before (and in the UK!)

Thanks!

Nov 28, 05 9:42 pm
ether

definately send a letter with resume to the head of faculty (assuming this person is in charge of hiring). then email the folks you've stayed in touch with and let them know what you are doing. maybe they'll put in a good word.

Nov 28, 05 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

always the sensible type!
see, I would have done it the other way around, but i guess this is a better approach!

thanks!

Nov 28, 05 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
ether

either, or. i originally wrote it the other way around but figured that as the letter is enroute, you could email your friends. once you start the process, follow through as far as you can. see if you can jury some reviews. try and meet the head of faculty. be engaged in the projects and work currently being produced.

Nov 28, 05 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

you're most likely to get a job by being nearby when the staff-member responsible is looking for someone.

visit crits for groups and staff-members you are interested in working with.

Nov 28, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

that's quite hard to achieve since i live about 2 hours aways from the place.
commuting 2/3 days a week would be manageable, being around on a constant basis for a while in order to be "nearby" is not possible.

Nov 28, 05 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: