Archinect
anchor

san francisco recommended viewing?

spaceghost

hi all.

i will be visiting sf next weekend.

plans are in the works to visit the new de young by herzog de meuron.

please to recommend some other architecture to visit while in the city.

thank you.

Nov 28, 05 1:37 pm
e

spaceghost, search the threads here. there are many on this issue.

Nov 28, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

go see the de young. thats all i can think of that may be worth your while. It does suck though so just be prepared.

Nov 28, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Seeker

It seems like it's going to rain all week... I hope you'll have a nicer weather during the weekend.

Nov 29, 05 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
StudioGhost

I think it's the Hatshepsut display on at de young meseum. I just did a paper on her :) but I don't know much about the architecture in SF except for that pyramid building... The museum of modern art is cool (Moma). And I've heard great things about the Metreon.

Nov 29, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

san francisco federal building under const.

Nov 29, 05 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

The best publicly accessible buildings (there are also a number of cool private dwellings - maybeck, schindler, neutra, wright, green & green, HHHarris...& some later like by Saitowitz, Jim Jennings, etc.) in the area, besides the deyoung, happen to be:

- Saitoitz's Yerba Buena Lofts (quite good urban housing block, on Folsom near 5th or so)
- The San Francisco Art Institute (late 60's Brutalist tour de force by a Corb associate)
- The Oakland Museum (downtown near Lake Merrit, 70's, actually built example of mat/landscape urbanism bldg by Kevin Roche & John Dinkeloo)
- The Crown Zellerbach Building (amazing early SOM Lever House era Tower - early 50's - on Markey Street Downtown SF)
-Portman's Hyat Hotel/Embarcadero Ctr. (one of his best atrium hotels - w/ revolving restaurant on top, connected to streets-in-the-air urban shopping)
- Grace Cathedral in SF - interior (outside not great, inside amazing, by Pietro Belushi / Luigi Nervi early 70s hyperbolic paraboloid structure)
- The UC Berkely Art Museum (incredible - inside and out - cast in place concrete brutalist tour de force)
- The UC Berkeley Music Library (near above museum, decent, by Mack Scogin / Merril Elam)
- Maybeck's First Church of Christ (in Berkeley, must see inside)
- The Morphosis Fed Bldg (hopefully good when done)
- The Gay/Bi/Transgender Center (on Market St @ Octavia, decent by Peter Pfau et al)
- Graduate Painting Studios at CCA SF (recently published warehouse renovation by Jensen Macy)

People who say there's no decent modern architecture in the area simply don't know, and the DeYoung does indeed have some pretty awesome moments.

Dec 1, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 
qs

Nice ones, bothands. The Berkeley Art Museum is a real sleeper, I think. The interior is unreal, it's great in the sense that it seems like it shouldn't be able to stand up.

However, the Belluschi / Nervi Cathedral you're talking about is St. Mary's Cathedral. Grace Cathedral is the french gothic one at the top of Nob Hill.

I'd like to add one of my own, the JP Morgan Chase building by Cesar Pelli. As far as office buildings go, this one's nice.

Dec 1, 05 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
e

nice indeed bothands.

what is the name of that place in the berkeley hills: a square plot of green grass, lined with trees with all low slung modern houses around the perimeter? there is a schindler there too. at the end of the area, there is a view down into berkeley that is amazing.

Dec 1, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

thanks for all the recommendations!

we only have a weekend up there but hopefully i get to see a few of the things mentioned here.

looks like the weather will be pretty nice.

Dec 2, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

qmoney - oops, youre right it is indeed St. Marys not Grace Cathedral

and e - yeah that space is pretty incredible, with a Schindler among the modern houses, and that alee of plum trees lined up with the Golden Gate, think its called Greenwood Commons?, on Greenwood Terrace, near LaLoma & Buena Vista...

Dec 3, 05 2:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: