Archinect
anchor

Core and Shell Office Buildings

some person

Can anyone recommend good websites or resources for core-and-shell architecture? Specific examples may include asymmetrical buildings and those that use ultra-modern materials.

Thanks.

Nov 25, 05 7:39 pm
liberty bell

I've never heard this terminology - I think I know what you mean, but it would be a pretty huge topic if so. Can you clarify?

Nov 26, 05 6:39 am  · 
 · 
some person

Absolutely, liberty bell.

By a "core and shell building," I mean an office tower (5+ floors) that is commissioned by a developer who does not already have a tenant(s) with an executed lease. The majority of contemporary standards dictate that all of the floor plates and fenestration arrangement be nearly identical for each floor to allow the greatest flexibility to the future tenants.

It is the job of the architect to design the only the core and shell of the building, leaving the interior for future tenant-fit-out, usually designed by an interior designer. The lobby may be designed by the architect, and it is typically located in the center of the building to allow for symmetrical floor plates above.

I am looking for examples of buildings that were designed with this program but have been inventive in both facade designs (i.e. irregular fenestration alignment) and floor plans (i.e. some office suites are smaller or shaped differently than the rest).

Do any designers or projects come to mind?

Nov 26, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
tlmII

as a contractor who has worked on both core and shell and ti projects I don't think there is really a difference in design. whether a bldg is built on spec or not the core and shell design is the samel. in my world some contractors are better at c&s and some in TI. the design doesn't need to be split but sometimes the work packages are before they go out for contract, some gc's are better at handling services and curtainwall but suck at millwork and finishes. for starters, I would check the completed projects of some large commercial contractors that have a specific core and shell division, on the west coast Webcor comes to mind, lot's of office bldgs in the San Francisco area. check there completed project and then research further

Nov 27, 05 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: