Archinect
anchor

architecture software around you

funga

what is the most common architecture software used in your country, city, by your friends, your mother or your girlfriend etc, if you can, tell us where...
it doesnt matter if it is the one you use
LA USA, Autocad and i think form Z or 3d max, correctme if i am wrong..

Nov 24, 05 3:49 pm
PetePeterson

what about vectorworks? i'm in the process of applying to grad schools and trying to get a job in a firm because the whole 'practial experience in the building industry' thing sucks in Canada in November. I was told to learn vectorworks as I am a MAC guy but I haven't heard whisper of it in archinectland. Is this a waste of time? Should I be learning autoCAD if I want to get into an office asap?

Nov 24, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

We use VectorWorks in our office. I've used it in 2 previous offices in other states too. ArchiCAD is also used often by a lot of Mac firms.
MicroStation sells the most stations to architects in the US (outselling AutoCAD in architecture firms, though not in engineering firms) but this is because there are some very large firms that use it. I don't think it's a bad plan to learn AutoCAD - I learned it in school but never ended up using it any firm - but usually if the firm is using some software other than AutoCAD then all they care about CAD-wise is that you know some (any) CAD software. Firms using less-used software know that they'll have to train anyone they hire in their software, whereas firms using AutoCAD tend to think that everyone should know AutoCAD and are less likely to want to train you in it - and also more likely to want to "CAD test" prospective employees before hiring them.

Nov 24, 05 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

personally-----3dsMax, Rhino3d, AfterEffects, Photoshop, ......autoCAD of course, LOS ANGELES usa

Nov 24, 05 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

Archicad, Maya, Form Z, Sketchup, Illustrator... San Francisco

Nov 25, 05 2:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: