Archinect
anchor

fusing plexiglass

designrocks

any tips for a small scale model using plexiglass? i'm looking for something easily available at a home depot or the sort- time is a major issue. thanks!

Nov 23, 05 6:04 pm
xtbl

i think plastruct makes an adhesive for plexiglass. i can't remember what it's called though. i'm sure google can turn it up.

Nov 23, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

theres a liquid called acrylic that bonds plex.

Nov 23, 05 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

There's something called Weld-On No.4 made by IPS - works really well.

Nov 23, 05 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

the chemical name is dimethyl chloride (methylene dichloride), I believe. the expensive stuff you find in various shops is little more than this - you should be able to get it from plastic suppliers.

careful though, very toxic stuff.

Nov 23, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Lord Auch

The stuff from IPS #3 #4 and #6is the only thing that works. It is usually only sold at plexi stores. It is a solvent that melts the surface together. There is no regluing you get one chance because the solvent changes the character of the Plexi. Joints have to be extremely clean IE. no gaps no burs.
It is very difficult to build a good model out of Plexi.
Good luck.

Nov 23, 05 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
general acres

plastic cement by plastruct:
http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/action.lasso

Nov 24, 05 12:04 am  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

i used that weld-on stuff to build a bar that would carry water through it... works really well although i still needed to silicone it to make sure it was completely water-proof.

any solvent like item will be very toxic and i suggest you either do it outside or near a strong vent. i was working in a warehouse and easily felt like i was going to pass out.

Nov 24, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

The right and best profesional advise are cloroform ( don't know if I spelled it right and this is the danish term ) but, if you cut off a small piece of plexi glass and solute it into a cloroform liquid you have the best and only right agent.
Now I guess there are different rules about buying this in various contries but if you can get it, it simply produce the best result and cost nothing compared the bad stuff you othervise will be advised.
Still read the warnings and wear a gas mask.

Nov 24, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: