Archinect
anchor

Lisbon- To see?

SpringFresh

The best architecture bars and bits please- but only enough time for Lisbon, and not Oporto sadly.

Nov 22, 05 11:49 am
Lud

Architecture and good bars, move yourself to the old Expo98 (now Parque das Nações), U have very good stuff to see (and drink) there. Pavilhão de Portugal (siza vieira), Pavilhão do conhecimento dos mares, Pavilhão atlântico, etc, etc...Spent a day there and U will see. Ask someone U know to take U at night to Bairro Alto!! Enjoy Dude

Nov 22, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
jgeis

In the Bairro Alto try to check out the Museu do Chiado...

Nov 22, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

Thank you for the responses, but really is this all?- usually there is an incredible mine of information better than any guidebook, and i thought Lisbon was happening- is it?

Nov 29, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i was in lisbon in november 1999. i spent three days there, one of which was in a pension where the owner accidentally locked me into my room overnight. the next day i saw a beggar whose face looked like it had been through a wood chipper. gave him the equivalent of $10 in escudos. the third day i decided screw this, i'm outta here. while at the train station an american "college student" on drugs tried to rob me. he said, "dude, i got a knife in my pocket." i said, "dude, go ahead and try it on me." i was twice his size and three times his intelligence. yeah, that robbery didn't work.

ah yes, lisbon. my advice, spend your time in oporto, it's loads better.

Nov 29, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I love Lisbon. I just like wandering around. Head up to the fort, check out the city views, take some trolley rides, get off at random points to wander the tight houses up on the hills, note the beautiful blue and white tiles (usually with nautical scenes or cocks) used to tile the outsides of buildings (splendid!), wander into churches.... eat pastes de bacalhau at a little pastelaria, sample all the food, try out whatever tiny restaurant the most music (fado!) and noise is coming from to eat delicious fish, the best fries in all of europe, and excellent wine...

i never "visited" architecture there, i just soaked everything up, so i don't know what design destinations to give you other than the train station.

Nov 29, 05 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
santa monica

Definitely check out the Orient Train Station by Calatrava.

Nov 30, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: