Archinect
anchor

Acoustic Waterproof Treatment

dia

Hi,

I am looking for, if it exists, a material application for concrete decks and balconies. Specifically, I am designing some buildings where the concrete decks must meet acoustic requirements, ie sound deadening, as well as needing waterproofing.

Is there a verified system of sandwiching a waterproof layer, with a thicker layer of cork or rubber so that you can then paint to finish, or maybe lay tiles over.

Its a bit if a boring topic, but maybe my northern hemisphere compatriots have some products that we don't have down here.

Cheers.

Nov 21, 05 11:04 pm
Suture

this is almost 2 independent systems in one--a roof and a paver. Im sure that they have rubber standoffs to achieve some level of acoustical rating:

http://www.superiorwaterproofing.com/archive1.html

there are also many other pedestal pavers out there.

Nov 21, 05 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

It would be pretty hard to fix any kind of cork/rubber over a waterproof layer without penetrating that layer.

I don't know of any systems for it, but I would guess it would be easier to use a flexible waterproof layer (butynol or whatever) over top of the cork/rubber.

Unless you were just going to float a layer of cork and then tiles over the membrane. It is almost impossible to avoid water getting under there somehow.

Nov 21, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
tlmII

The section thickness gets to be a little difficult but I once did a terra paver pedestal system which started with two layers of enkasonic over a structural CIP deck, then a drainage course sloped to deck drains with the pavers on pedestals level at the surface. This was for an exterior courtyard space over a high STC performance space.

For my condo jobs at the exterior balconies and walkways we do a drainage mat w/ waterproofing membrane topped with enkasonic and a lightweight concrete for acoustics.

Nov 22, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

concrete works for low frequency. mass is really the only alternative to proper sound mitigation in such an application.

if it were my project, i would look at isolating from the underside of the deck. two layers of 5/8 gwb on resilient channels mounted with RSIC clips and 4 inches of concrete should give you close to an STC 60. this assembly will add about 4 inches to the section. is that too much? the key component are the clips since they isolate with rubber.

if you're trying to mitigate structure born impact noise i think this assembly would work. the concrete deck should already be adequate for voice noise.

Nov 22, 05 11:22 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i wasn't familiar with the RSIC clips - thanks DD.

Nov 22, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Thanks everybody.

Our acoustic engineer is mainly complaining about noise travelling to adjacent apartments laterally. The the choice is to isolate the decks from the structure [obviously not doable], or a combination of waterproofing and sound deadening.

I'm thinking that an initial layer of waterproofing, then a layer of cork, rubber, or a thick fabric solution [enkasonic or simlar nylon, fibreglass], followed by another layer of waterproofing, and then tiling might do the trick. Has to be tested of course....

I had a look at enkasonic

Nov 22, 05 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: