Archinect
anchor

entry level architectural designer, gensler or nbbj?

hggh

I was a past intern at gensler, and will be probably back as a formal employee after graduation. Meanwhile, I got a nbbj interview chance. The experience I had in gensler was extremely wonderful, with the exception of their work is more about interior or small scale which is not my type. Maybe I was doing my intern at a wrong branch of gensler.

Which firm is good for an entry level designer? Any comments or experience on these two firms? or even other big corps like SOM, KPF? working environment? quality? learning chances?

Nov 26, 11 1:10 pm
Quentin

Be glad you have job offers, more than one, at that....

#jealous

:-/

Nov 26, 11 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Rasa

Just wondering, which Gensler office did you intern in? Is the NBBJ office the same place too?

Nov 26, 11 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I think gensler's supposed to be the most profitable firm this year ... Beat us out for that distinction. I'd say consider going back. You can always look into moving literally within the firm at some futur point, to see a wider variety of building/project types.

Nov 26, 11 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

My first job after graduation was with SOM -SF. The experience was "post grad school" I quickly learned a lot in the year and a half I was there and would definitely recommend SOM. We worked on a lot of large projects that will give you a serious workout. They have a great online learning system, and support IDP. How good is your knowledge of Metric? 1/2 of the projects I worked on were in China, India and the Middle East.

Nov 26, 11 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Gensler has deep roots in interiors and many of the offices have multiple interior studios.

I work at Gensler - one of the 700 people who have been hired there since January 2011.  I started off in interiors (never had much prior experience in it) and now I'm working on some pretty substantial base-building projects.  I must say though, I like working interiors.

Nov 28, 11 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

just to counter med, that would be the reason i'd avoid gensler. i absolutely hate interiors.

Nov 28, 11 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
med.

You can actually be hired at Gensler and not do any Interiors.  It just depends on which studio hires you.

Nov 28, 11 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
hggh

a question for med. After being a formal employee, Is it easy to transfer from one branch to another within Gensler(in the USA)? 

Nov 28, 11 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Gensler has a firmide corporate structure and it is rather easy to switch from branch-to-branch as there are no "allegiances" you will have to defy like some of the 'partnership' structured offices.  Basically it runs as one entitiy where there is no internal competition for work so when you talk to HR in saying that you would like to x-fer from the say New York office to the Seattle office, they will not have any problems accomodating that as long as there is a vacant position.  As a matter of fact on the firm's intranet, they usually make announcements each week of vacant positions at certain offices if anyone would be interested in transfering.

I have worked at some of Gensler's major competitors in the past too so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Nov 29, 11 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: