Archinect
anchor

characteristics of an icon or iconic building

softcell

okay...here it goes.what does an icon represent to you?
how does it work and name your personal iconic building and why...

Nov 20, 05 3:14 pm
some person

Ask Robert Venturi. He's big on iconography these days.

My definition of an icon? How about something you can publish on the letterhead? ha ha

Nov 20, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
softcell

thanks for the hint on venturi...do you understand modern architecture?
is it not only about being able to be published on a letterhead....think about the new a&u cover with CCTV on it,.......

Nov 20, 05 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I was kidding, of course.

Unfortunately, I think there are some traditional clients who are secretly hoping for a bell tower to put on their letterhead, though.

Nov 20, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
softcell

yeah i know....but do you think that this could be a quality of a building.
seriously,dont you think that simplicity is one of the major qualities of an icon...also in terms of architecture...

Nov 21, 05 6:14 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

Today an architectural Icon often are a hightech-lookalike ,something that carry no real structure ,something thrown as a sketch with no thought about the core quality ---- something to make great pictures in an architecture magazin covered with dull words that you could put on every postmodern hightech lookalike.

Architects made Icons into useless structures , lookalike hightech and none of those will ever make the suggestion for the housing and quality inviroments that today are the demands --- the Icons only made everything more expensive and they made sure architecture continue further into a dead-end.

That's today's architectural Icons ; misunderstood arts museum designs as meter thick concrete bunkers that visitors and people working there just hate, or a throw together rigid "H" steel profiles claiming to be a vision ,where all what happened are that the engineer make more and more designing, just to solve the trivial structural problems with yestoday's tools and perception.

Nov 21, 05 7:46 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Check out Charles Jencks' latest

Nov 21, 05 8:16 am  · 
 · 
cf

Eye con, know you single man only create only, see.
know you student and eye SOM steal not creation, try, try.
make create apart, separate... back, back, back, back ( )con us
funny, take you/me say yes.

Nov 21, 05 9:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: