Archinect
anchor

MACBA Museum Critics..anyone

Esteban Gonzalez

Something about MACBA, at BCN......?????...any critics...needit

STV

Nov 20, 05 1:58 pm
job job

it's mierda - is that good enough for ya?

dude, I dig your first name - don't see that one these days..

Nov 20, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It's probably Meier's best buiding, and I still despise it. The man has no soul.

Nov 20, 05 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
AP

check out this conversation from earlier this "semester."

Nov 20, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
AP

oh, and from someone who used to often criticize the architecture of Meier....there's redeeming qualities about all (or at least most) of the buildings produced by his office. For some reason "we" like to pick on him because of certain architectural issues that he may or may not consider. That being said, his office produces good buildings, and the issues that are of importance to him are definitely addressed with critical rigor. So, enough with the inarticulate hating...

critique, not commentary.

Nov 20, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
packaged deal
Nov 20, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
job job

dear Arthur Pollack,

i was about to feel the shame, until i saw something about a post about pei in the superstarCHITECT thread.....

say it ----'I'm a kettle, and I'm black, beeyatch!!'

Nov 21, 05 10:09 am  · 
 · 
job job

can you guess I'm listening to Chappelle?

Nov 21, 05 10:13 am  · 
 · 
AP

sorry, I don't get it...

Nov 21, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 
job job

Achim Pantani,

1.i'm not a fan of the NY5

2.you [rightly] criticized my flippant comment based on 1

3.intrigued, i looked through your other posts to
3A. see the level to which i should respond
3B. acknowlege the mistake

4.i see a gossip item of yours was purged - most likely due to complete fabrication or vicious slander of ieoh ming

SO- you're really not one to accuse, but I can sympathise due to your tenuous position of leaving a job.

JEEZ it took me 10 damn minutes to write this, and it took the piss out of the whole thing __CRAP

still like the name esteban

Nov 21, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
AP

alright, seemingly a fair enough attempt, but allow me to counter:

the comment was purged only because it contained a link and a reference to "archinect private," which is not allowed by site admin. The content of my "gossip" was not fabricated or slanderous, however it is recorded.

Nov 21, 05 11:09 am  · 
 · 
AP

oh, and Esteban is a fantastic name. The old pimp from KillBill2 comes to mind...."call me Esteban"

Nov 21, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Esteban Gonzalez

what do i have to do, with yours things guys?...the thing is, that i really enjoy all the whatever things you said.... im looking foward good critics....

and Esteban is hell yeah a fantastic name.... and keep sending links and other stuff... ja....

Nov 21, 05 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

"something" about MACBA?

It was a building born with a purpose, a mission. Mostly.
And, after ten years of being there, one can say that it has succeeded. That is what architecture should be all about, wether you're a NY5 fan or not. The fact that is a Meier is pretty irrelevant in this case.

Nov 21, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
job job

Hokay fine
MACBA spawned a number of little projects, and bad acronym/names. Buenos Aires has a cousin MALBA which is a fine project and a perfunctory ‘white box’ to make Brian O’Doherty cringe. Equally pretentiously named MUSAC has an interesting structural parti with unfortunate colour choices for the entry courtyard. As far as this typology goes, the Serralves Fundacao by Siza is the best with its careful modulation of spaces, v. good detailing and integration with landscape (yeah I know meier’s is an urban project- tough. sorry that a portuguese trumps you)

But a far more interesting space for exhibition is the PAlais de Tokyo with its rough edges – I don’t know how they achieve a class AA that gallery spaces require (close environmental control) for on-loan pieces. Perhaps they don’t. Another is the blue gallery by dECOi that existed for about 2 days before demolition by a frightened owner.

I’m not even touching on the bilbao effect and the ‘amusement park’ing of europe

hmm this also took 10 minutes to wrtie - my typing's getting better

i LOVE the ny5 _ neutered boxes all the way BABY

Nov 22, 05 6:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: