Archinect
anchor

Help! Where should I take my architecture course?

kagevrtugol

I need some help! For starters i'm finishing high school and next year i'll be attending university. I curently live in Portugal but i am canadian, and i'm confused because i do not know where i should take my architecture course, if in Canada or Portugal? I would like to have some opinions, because i don't know where it is better for me to take it. I would also like to know which architecture schools are the best in Canada and how prestigious are they compared internationally!

Nov 19, 05 9:51 am
Shambloks

Hi K

I don't know anything about either Portugese or Canadian schools, but this book, that I haven't read, but is supposed to be good, might help you decide:

Back to School - Architectural Education, the Information and the Argument by Michael Chadwick

The fact is, its hard to say what schools are 'best', as although there are some that are more prestigeous than others, all schools teach differently and have different values, and sometimes it boils down to who teaches you and inspires you while you're there, so it can be completely random. To you right now, this sounds like waffle, but after you finish your degree, you'll realise how important these distictions are in the way you're taught to be an architect. And for anyone to tell you what they think is best, is just a personal opinion, which you shouldn't ever take as fact, or really attach any importance to.

This book might be too wordy and seemingly bullshitty for your tastes, but it might help you. Good luck!

Nov 19, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
arch6

from what i have heard mcgill is the best. montreal is an amazing place to go to school, they have a lot of wonderful things happening in the architectural world there. the city is undergong a major transition. if you stay in canada, then you will get resident tuition and nothing outside canada will be as inexpensive. Mcgill can be more pricey than the others, but it is by far the best. Dalhousie has an interesting program and is a fun place to go to school. However, if you are into skiing, then UBc is better. UBC has a lot of great professors.

Nov 20, 05 2:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: