Archinect
anchor

translucent insulation

designrocks

i have a small project in which the entire the main exterior structure is composed of a thick layer of glass. Is anyone familiar with translucent insulation? i'm looking for alternatives to a curtain wall. thanks in advance.

Nov 18, 05 7:57 pm
Ms Beary

a vacuum

Nov 18, 05 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
35mm

a vacuum should do the trick.

Nov 18, 05 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

"I just think things should work properly"

Nov 18, 05 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

did you know the best insulator and lowest-density solid is....
aerogel.

it's been used in a lot of polycarb and cast glass assemblies.

Nov 18, 05 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

i dont know if it is available to your area, but there is a german company that makes a product called Okalux.

It is a light diffusing insluating glass, and i think it is made from glass cullet and fibers.

Nov 18, 05 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

If you are in the UK, Daylight distribute it.

Nov 18, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
designrocks

thanks for the advice! also, does anyone know of any structures that have incorporated stacked glass?

Nov 18, 05 11:50 pm  · 
 · 

if it doesn't have to be glass, there are systems like kalwall that are both translucent and insulating.

there are some limitations of the systems that may have unanticipated aesthetic implications (panel sizes, panel thicknesses, reinforcing grid, etc) but, on the other hand, one of these systems might do exactly what you want.

Nov 19, 05 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Mason White

drox -
check Materia #41 on Glass
- Kruunenberg Van der Erve Architects' Laminate House is featured. It has densely stack glass. It is an amazing project.

Nov 19, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool: yes
Realistic: I wish

Nov 19, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Kalwall...might be what your looking for....big "R"......little light...less"R" more Light. They do have a website, get intellegent and go find it.

Nov 19, 05 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Kruunenberg Van der Erve Architects' Laminate House above, if i can be subjective, i think openings on the walls really kills the whole thing. too bad..

Nov 19, 05 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
job job

melivt is right
http://www.100percentdetail.co.uk/page.cfm/action=Exhib/ExhibID=00030/OSite=13213G34_181

there's a business collaboration among a few glass manuf but the rep I met became pretty defensive when I politely asked about unit cost - no more free wine. the gel is actually crystalline in chemical makeup and can be further crushed down.

http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/tech/aerogel.html

by weil arets used http://www.pilkington.com/resources/dutchprofilit.pdf
and is used as the cover image on ibelings crappy little book supermodernism

it also uses the open/void in a single material organization as the one above

Nov 20, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
job job

*note the number of times the word 'use' comes up - nice

Nov 20, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: