Archinect
anchor

Autocad- converting metric files to standard?

Lord Auch

Hi I work for a place that does business in China. We do the design here in LA and they do the CD's. We get plans from them that are in metric and written in Chinese. The way I understand it, you scale the drawing by a conversion factor. In this case millimeters to feet SC .0032808. When I do the scale the dimensions are lost.

Any one have any suggestions on how to do this properly?

Thanks Auch

Nov 18, 05 1:45 pm
thenewold

Are you stateside people doing a metric project with imperial measurements ? That's a little like the beer-liquor incompatibility thing. Bad news.

But sorry I don't know autocadd. However, in other programs, there's normally no scalling required to get proper imp-metric or metric-imp measurements. Normally you just have to change the drawing or project units in the application preferences menu wherever that is in Autocadd.

Nov 18, 05 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

hopefully your not drawing to scale in CAD...the whole idea is that you draw at "full size"...in which case you would just change the preferences...

and if you're designing in imperial, but building in metric...uhh, good luck...you're screwed...

Nov 18, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

dammit, why didn't the u.s. wise up years ago and make the switch?

Nov 18, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
bLAyer

autocad is not like 3dsmax or other cad programs where you just switch the units and the readout changes to the new system, you do have to scale the drawings because autocad works in a sort of unitless system. I know it doesnt answer your question as to why you lose the dimensions.

Nov 18, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

we are also based in the US and do projects in China etc. and let me tell you there is absolutely no point of working in Imperial units while working on these projects. Our whole office here works in bothe Imperial and Metric, depending on where the projects are.
And its not so difficult after all to make the switch

Nov 18, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Lord Auch

I can sacale the drawings, but the dims dont scale. I end up with a cloud of numders.

Nov 18, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
bLAyer

I just tried it and the dims do scale with no problem. I think your dim lines may have been exploded before then you're SOL.

Nov 18, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
G-bot

You need to update the dimensions. Just change the default Dimension to the say 1/8th scale dimension. Then go into the Dimensions pull down menu and click update then write All. Then it will update all dimensions to the new 1/8th scale. THat should fix you up real good. But better is just to stick with metric and suck it up.

Nov 18, 05 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: