Archinect
anchor

Scrap Materials? Re-using demo'ed houses in new construction?

impalajunkie

I live in a neighborhood that is still under construction, and once a week or so I see the construction dumpsters FULL of plywood sheets and 2x4s. I'm sure all of this woulc be used in another house if applied right and creatively, has anyone done this? Material costs could drop significantly on a project, allowing more design decisions to be realized without budget compromises, or to increase profit on a development.

In the area I work in (Great Falls, VA), the land values are so high that old houses with 2 or 3 acres are bought, torn down, and mcmansions are built and sold on the site for millions. I worked for an architecture firm that did this and they made a fortune. What do the demo crews do with the materials of the old house ocne they've torn it down?

Just curious.

Nov 16, 05 5:37 pm
Ms Beary

OR you can design houses that leave no scrap. One of my professors did this. Everything was modular, carefully calculated, crazy dude he was.

Nov 16, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
raj

when i was contracting, i just did not get more wood as they "ran out".
it was incredible what they were able to salvage from the garbage.

as for old salvage materials...there is a great market for a lot of the materials...ie wood floors, beams brick, windows and doors roof tiles, plumbing. if they are able to make a profit...THEY DO.

problem is that most of the "tear downs" don't have any of the above that has value short of the wood floors (at least here in houston)

as for the perfect house...let's just say that it takes the perfect craftsmen to build... prefab has a better chance...

Nov 16, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

david hertz is building his house out of the parts of a 747...

and i know the record had an article on reusing timber (the old growth stuff can be really really valuable) some time ago.

Nov 16, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

what is the LARR number on a 747?

Nov 16, 05 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
chopping up tower blocks
Nov 16, 05 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
raj

i think that is really an interesting idea...take something commercial and reuse the pieces to produce a very different and interesting new product...see the 2 below:
big dig

big dig2

additionally, rural studio has done some incredible things with things like carpet squares as walls...etc.

Nov 16, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

It's tough to re-use lumber because it is often split, warped etc. or cut to lengths that won't work for a different design. There's also the time involved to remove nails, transport to another site, sift through to find correct sized pieces, in addition to storage & safety issues. It's more efficient to have a hauling company that recycles waste take everything away & just buy new lumber, at least that's what we're finding now. If you live in a large urban area, the hauling cost for companies that recycle is practically the same as for ones that don't (talking about companies that drop off dumpsters & then remove them). Some cities are now mandating that a large percentage of construction waste be recycled - in West Hollywood, CA for example where we're working now I think it's 75%.

Nov 16, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
general acres

some of these people are asking similar questions:
onesmallproject

Nov 17, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

here's a good use for cast off lumber scraps:

Nov 17, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Scrap House
Nov 17, 05 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ
www.publicdigital.com
Nov 17, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: