Archinect
anchor

Tastemakers

dia

From the News, from Forbes Magazine - their Top 10 Tastemakers.

Ando
Calatrava
Gehry
Hadid
Lynn
Mayne
Meier
Pei
Piano
Schneider

Comments?

Mine*:

Herzog & de Meuron
Ando
Hadid
Piano
Mayne
Ito
Koolhaas
A-R-M
Foster
Godsell

* Architects which I reckon lead the programmatic and aesthetic development in architecture currently.

Nov 16, 05 3:35 pm
Manteno_Montenegro

I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest Kanye West be added to that list. I know he's not an architect... but seriously... as far as tastemaking is concerned, the term "King Kanye" doesnt' exist just because he's made quite a bit of money.

"Tastemaking, for King Kanye, is the effortless result of a brilliant musical and lyrical mind," said President Bush when asked about West's mark on modern music. "He's the sound of a modern age, and regardless of what he thinks about me, America is lucky to have him."

Nov 16, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes
Les Bouroullec Brothers

Although I can't say G.W.Bush has said such good things to say about these Frogs. I think Architects should be feeling their tastes though, if that's what the question asks...

Nov 16, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

RZA
Mayne
Koolhaas

Nov 16, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Karim Rashid

Philippe Starck (sp?)

Graves made a mark with his Alessi crap, too. But that's old (thank god).

I'd venture to say that they have had more impact on the everyday world, with possibly the exception of Gehry.

Must be way out of the loop, 'cause I had no idea who A-R-M or Godsell was before diabase's post.

Nov 16, 05 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Todd Oldham.
Oh wait, that's poor taste.

But as Dave Hickey said, poor taste is real taste. Good taste is the residue of someone else's fear of being unique.

Nov 16, 05 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I suspect that fewer of the architectural tastemakers are architects. It might depend on who's taste is being made.

Nov 16, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

who's this Schneider guy? never heard of him!

Nov 16, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: