Archinect
anchor

Las Vegas: An Unconventional History

Anyone else watch AMERICAN EXPREIENCE - Las Vegas: An Unconventional History? I was surprised at how much I learned from this 3 hour program. It was like "Learning from the City of Antithesis" -- very "if it's no where else, it's here."

Sin City and Bust! Talk about having your cake and eating it too!

Do you think above-ground nuclear bomb testing will ever be revived for it's tourist attraction fall-out?

Did that veteran showgirl really say that Vegas during the disco era was the best?!? Gosh, you learn something new everyday.

I've never been to Las Vegas, but I've been wanting to go for years now. The odds of my ever getting there, however, are slim.

Nov 16, 05 9:52 am
ochona

i saw the last 90 mins of it last night (after my name is earl)

now i want to see the first 90 mins

Nov 16, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, I was too lazy to tape My Name is Earl.

The first 90 mins are very worthwhile in that how Las Vegas started and continued to happen (against the odds) is presented clearly and engagingly. I never really knew how Las Vegas was like the exact opposite of all other American cities in that what was illegal everywhere else (including citizens) where, like magic almost, legal in Las Vegas. It's like "who was kidding who?" As if all other American cities were bastions of morality, even.

Las Vegas as capital of Native America?

Nov 16, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

I managed to see the last half of both airings. It seemed to be a documentary constructed similar to this book, both of which I think are pretty good.

Nov 16, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

<nostalgia>i picked up my copy of that book in 1995 at midnight special books...sigh.</nostalgia>

Nov 16, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

oh home sweet home......
what channel was this on?
Wonder if they interviewed my parents?

Nov 16, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: