Archinect
anchor

design a high rise building vs multistory reguarl buidling

jlxarchitect

As an intern with 5 years experience, I didn't have a chance to design a highrise like 20 stories and up. This kind of scared me. I wonder if anyone can share an insight opinions regarding the difference between doing a regular building vs a highrise building.

For your information, I have strong fundemental skills like sketch, 3d, physical model. I also is very good at judging other designer's design intems of concept, elevation and plan. But the lack of practical experience in High rise really make me sweat.

your comments is highly appreciated.

Nov 14, 05 3:39 pm
bostonarch

Design ability is required for both multi-story building and high rise. Off the top of my head the biggest challenges that you would face would be structural, mechanical (elevators must be on generators, smoke proof enclosures at stairs, etc) and of course facade systems. I wouldn't sweat too much...just design a nice building. If you don't know how to make it stand call cecil balmond....:)

Nov 17, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

you'll be fine. There easier than many smaller 2 or 3 story buildings. Navigating the CAD file tree could be tricky but Im sure each firm has their own standards for file organization.

Nov 17, 05 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Thanks for the encouragement, bostonarch and .!

My brother did tell me too that the structure and MEP coordination will require more work than the low story building. But when I look at some buildings done by NBBJ or KPF, thom mayne, I felt there are so many varities can be played out, especially in the facade system and structure column grid.

I guess in order to seek more help form you guys, I need to specify my question, how about the following one:

1. why some highrise building's structure grid is not like the chess board? I saw some condo plan, their grid is really confused people.

2. Do you guys have any problem designing the core of a high rise building? is that always the more experienced architect have the responsibilty designing the core?

Nov 21, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: