Archinect
anchor

who should I look at for anlytical skecthes?

Elimelech

Which architects have great nalytical sketches?

Nov 14, 05 1:26 pm
bucku

tschumi does mapping. also eisenman some.

Nov 14, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

also. depends on what you are looking for. i love some of d+s sketches but they are key to the project at hand. also ltl.

Nov 14, 05 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

good
Im thinking analytical sketches, etc...
It could be for a project,
studies of cities,
etc....

I like Scarpa's a lot, his plan and section sketches are beautiful.

Nov 14, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

cities, maybe sorkin. his are often kind of hard to read.

Nov 14, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
post-it

stan allen, look at his book points + lines, diagrams

Nov 14, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

hadid - but make sure you get an old GA with the process sketches, not just the finals (it's hard to find, but worth it to see how things evolved in the process)

Miralles Pinos - beautiful drawings

Eisenman - his diagrams are just great, as are his diagram models

Nov 14, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

If you are just looking for generative diagrams (aka a place to start design), Eisenman knows how to analyze BS pretty well.

Nov 14, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Reemy

Eisenman is great- great models n diagrams.

Nov 14, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
archsia

preston scott cohen is kinda nice...

Nov 14, 05 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i would agree with post-it on stan allen's drawings and diagrams. To me, eisenman's diagrams have only one purpose - to explain and strengthen his formal agenda, but stan allen's diagrams are true to the project/program and are a bit more 'sensible' in real life

Nov 14, 05 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

preston scott is pretty right but his process is crazy. original, but crazy.

Nov 14, 05 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
BE

Carlo Scarpa

Nov 15, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 

though they're not generative drawings by the architect but analytical drawings by a historian/writer, the analyses by geoffrey baker of corb, meier, and many others are great examples, very clear drawings.

check out his book 'design strategies in architecture'. i think this is a revision of his earlier book 'analysis of form'. he has had other books which i think are out of print but which you might find in an art or architecture library. credits his method of analysis to eisenman's thesis analysis of terragni.

Nov 15, 05 9:19 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

There is a beautiful book called "Why Architects Draw" published about 12 years ago. Covers the sketches of about 10 different big name architects, nice reproductions and little interviews with each of them as to how they use drawing. I used to own this book but just realized I left it in my old firm's library when I left Philly, too bad.

Currently out of print, but oh look Powells Rock-n-Roll Bookstore has a used copy available now!

Remember what Steven Holl said (paraphrased) "East coast architects tend to get stuck in a bucket of theory, but west coasters design from the wrist down". I do love Holl's watercolors.

Nov 15, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I like Predock's collages, for something a little different.

Nov 15, 05 10:53 am  · 
 · 
ferd

piano piano piano piano piano piano piano piano

Nov 15, 05 11:02 am  · 
 · 
ferd

Nov 15, 05 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: