Archinect
anchor

What are the best Workshops/Conferences?

Hello all,
   I have recently been hired (as an architect) and as a part of my salary negotiations I was able to get 2 or 3 conferences a year paid in full. I have to submit the names of the conferences next week and I wanted the communities opinion.

I am thinking that if the conferences were in the USA it would be more likely that I will actually get them approved, but I just want to know what you guys think are the best conferences.

Nov 23, 11 6:04 pm

congrats on the new job and nice work with the negotiations!

what's your angle on architecture and level of experience? Sustainability, 3d modeling, professional practice, or specific markets like health care, libraries, housing, retail or ? are you a junior, mid-level, or senior? (I'm guessing junior/mid-level)

there are too many conferences going on every year to attend them all. A general architecture practice conference like AIA is a good start. Greenbuild is also another popular destination. Both AIA & Greenbuild can be overwhelmingly large (25k or more folks). The rest tend to be smaller and may offer more value as they will be less $$$ for registration/hotels.

As an academic, I get to go to lots of conferences. In over the years I've been to ASLA, AIA, Greenbuild, Green Roofs for Healthy Cities, & AASHE. In march I'll be at CELA, and might be attending Greening the Campus (@Ball State), IBPSA-USA, Ecosummit. I've considered going to ULI, CTBUH, and APA.

there are dozens, if not hundreds, of conferences for specific markets/sectors. If you choose wisely, you may even get a few leads on potential projects to feed to your bosses - ensuring a long tenure and advancement at your new job.

Nov 23, 11 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: