Archinect
anchor

shed roof detail

FlowB

Every time i design a building with a shed roof, my boss always tells me that the high side (overhang to wall connection) is a waterproofing nightmare. Obviously, there are many new shed roofs out there, and i was wondering whether anyone who had designed one, has experienced leaking issues. I have come up with a detail that, in theory, would work fine. maybe there are others out there? Any comments?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 12, 05 1:29 pm
WtfWtfWtf™

It's a nightmare because water hangs on the soffit and runs down into the wall, unlike a conventional roof which typacally points toward the gound and serves as a drip (if there is no gutter)
All you have to do is stop the sheet of water from reaching the soffit by including a "drip" behind the fascia board which ends below the face of the adjacent soffit surface. Cap flashing along the high point between the drip and fascia board lapped down the roof 18" is also essential. If you want to divert any water AFTER it has run down the soffit, then introduce flashing behind a frieze board and under the soffit sheathing, extending out beyond the face of the frieze board. Much like a termite shield around the top of a foundation. Sorry no Images.

Nov 12, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
bLAyer

We need drawings or sketches guys! seriously though :)

Nov 12, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
FlowB

thanks poczatek...i think that i got it...lots of flashing, lapping, etc....

Nov 13, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: