Archinect
anchor

We're heading to Cincinnati this weekend...

psteiner

...my group from Archeworks and I are making a road trip to Cincinnati to visit some sites pertaining to our project...Anybody ever done the drive from Chicago to there? Any tips? It'll be a fast one day wham-bam kinda trip. drivedrivedrive...We're supposed to take time make a stop at the University to say: "I saw Eisenman"

Nov 9, 05 12:26 am
newuser

be sure to gas up before you get back to chicago.

Nov 9, 05 12:53 am  · 
 · 
ess

Without a doubt, go to the Contemporary Arts Center (Zaha's building downtown, in case you have been on Mars the past two years..). Or - is this the reason for your trip?

The building right in the middle of downtown, on Sixth Street. The profile is so unsuspecting...that it fits so snuggily within the confines of the city block. Definitely worth the trek!

Also, if you're twiddling your thumbs with nothing else to do, you could check out Cincinnati Art Museum. (CAC first, this only if you're bored and with time). It has exhibits more traditional in nature (although you can catch some interesting and more contemporary stuff...they had a Calder exhibit within the last year, and right now a photography/album cover exhibit), but I would recommend it more for the view it offers of the city. It is in Eden Park, near the Mount Adams area, and the view is amazing. Also, lots of places to eat and drink in Mount Adams.

Have a great weekend!

Nov 9, 05 7:50 am  · 
 · 
switters

look up and find Lightborne video studios in over the rhine. the best building in cincinnati. it'll knock your socks off. the big morphosis thing on the uc campus is, well, big. the uc campus is a zoo of big buildings by big architects. yawn. over the rhine is endlessly more intersting.

Nov 9, 05 8:17 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

The drive from Chicago to Cincinnati I've done many, many times. The drive from Cincinnati to Chicago always comes first, I'm afraid.....but it's an easy drive, it usually takes me about 4 1/2 hours....

Ditto what sking0 said about the CAC. The rest depends on how long you'll be here. If you're interested in spending the night Saturday, if that's when you're coming, my friends and I are having a boat cruise on the Ohio River to drink, and um, also raise money for the American Cancer Society. Seriously. Long story but you're welcome to join if you want. Everyone is actually, it would be a great way to see the city too. If you're only here for the day, make sure just to see the CAC and drive around UC's campus. Also drive through my neighborhood, OTR, which as switters pointed out is endlessly interesting.

Nov 9, 05 8:31 am  · 
 · 
ess

And if you're still with extra time and still twiddling your thumbs...

[And if weather is cooperative]

You could always take a stroll across the L+N Bridge - an old railroad bridge converted to a pedestrian footpath in 2003. It connects Cincinnati with Newport, Kentucky and is known to locals as the Purple People Bridge. If you go down to the waterfront park area, the gleaming purple steel is a can't-miss.

You could well be the hit of the next party when you tell people that you've mozied across the Ohio River.

Nov 10, 05 7:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: