Archinect
anchor

R Brognard Okie

pia555

I've been involved in more and more projects that are rejuvenating houses designed by Okie. I would love to see an original set of his drawings. I constantly find myself trying to understand how he designed his buildings. The details are best part of his work. I've considered going to the Archives in Harrisburg to get a look at his stuff. I actually had a client pay me to do detailed as builts and video tape the interior of his Okie he was moving out of. So he could build it again someday. If anyone knows how to learn more about Okie I would love to know more about his work

Nov 5, 05 8:21 am
pia555

ANYBODY

Nov 7, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

look up his grandson (or son) Charles Okie. he was an architect too. Seriously.

I was gonna say harrisburg, but you mentioned that.

Also, contact some firms local to philadelphia that do historical or traditional work: http://www.aiaphila.org/1/1_fs_hp.htm

I can't believe Okie made it into a post on Archinect. He did some cool work. Really played with the colonial/ vernacular thing in the Philadelphia area.

Mar 5, 06 12:30 am  · 
 · 
CSeel

The Gladwyne library (Lower Merion Twp) has a short publication called "The Residential Architecture of Richardson Brognard Okie of Philadelphia". It was complied by Ronald S. Senseman, Leon Brown, Edwin Bateman Morris, and Charles T. Okie. It has some text and lots of pictures of a few of Okie's works in the area. I couldn't tell when it was published, but it seems somewhat old.

Harrisburg has so much stuff, you better have a particular collection or property in mind. You could easily spend weeks there looking at his collection of photographs, every piece of correspondance he had with clients, and an endless supply of drawings.

We went to Harrisburg to research our house. It's an Okie, but somewhat atypical because it was built to be a rental house so it was done "on the cheap" compared to many of his other projects. There was so much stuff there we really could have spent two days and hundreds of dollars on copies. There were drawings of some of the fine details and it was really neat to see how little had been changed in our house through the years. They do permit you to take non-flash pictures, so you can take digital photos of pictures and drawings for free. Let me know if any of the results of my trip could be helpful to you.

Jul 11, 06 9:09 am  · 
 · 
pia555

Cseel
Thanks for your reply. I'm in Wilmington De. and there are at least a dozen Okies nearby. I have tremendous respect for his work and it pains me when someone makes changes to them that is not quality, design,and detail of his. I had a client a few years back want to tear down a whole wing so they could build a garage. Thankfully, they decided to buy a different house. I have another client that has keep his in tip top shape. It is a fantastic house on a amazing site. Without a doubt it does take a large bank account to keep these house from deteriorating

Thanks for the tip on the Gladwyne Library . Harrisburg is still a possibilty an I do have an out line of the particular projects I want to look up

Jul 12, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
charlie_aaron

go to the state historical society. i help out at the georgia historical society and we have tons of great mid-century drawings and renderings.

May 27, 09 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Cfderita

I have owned and lived in a Charles t. Okie home (son of brognard) for 18 years. I do not have original blueprints. But I can tell you that my home is truly one of a kind...a copy of a 200 year old farmhouse built in 1952. Charles t okie lives in nearby Berwyn, pa and I believe is 97 years young. I am trying to find other locations of his homes in the area to see if any are similar to mine. Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 9, 12 9:48 am  · 
 · 
cath61

Thanks for the great information on R. Brognard Okie!  I was doing some research on him and found some things, but was wondering if anyone knows where he might be interred?  There are several Okie's buried at Laurel Cemetery in Philadelphia, but he's not listed.  I know he passed away in 45.  Any help is appreciated!  He did some beautiful work!

Sep 10, 12 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

Go to trevianbooks.com, search for "The Residential Architecture of Richardson Brognard Okie of Philadelphia"

Sep 30, 12 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
pia555

I am a lucky owner of an original copy the  " The Residential Architect of Richardson Brognard Okie of Phiadelphia"   Let me tell you it was hard to find and did not come cheap

Oct 5, 12 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: