Archinect
anchor

Breaking into new markets....

Jefferson

I'm looking to bring work that I'm interested in, to my firm.  However, we don't have much experience in most of the markets I'm thinking of.  Recs from anyone on strategies/course of action on how to do this effectively?

Nov 15, 11 6:14 pm
wurdan freo

Buy a firm that does... or 

Hire someone that does.

Otherwise you have to be a wheeler deeler and make it happen. Salesman time.  Hugely dependent on the market.

For example, if your market that you are targeting is Healthcare. Don't think your first project is going to be a brand new hospital on a green field site. That should be the goal, but start small. Maybe it's a remodel for a new tenant in a MOB or smaller. Meet the people who make those decisions in that industry and make them like you. Then prove your capabilities to them. Rinse and repeat until they have enough trust in you to ink a deal. Don't know how to build a relationship, just think about it like your trying to get your next girl/boyfriend. Much easier to leverage an existing relationship. I would focus my time there if it exists.  

Nov 15, 11 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
brorstein

If you're small you could try teaming with a larger office with the desired experience on a given RFP that's big enough to necessitate a lead/secondary relationship.  This works best if you have colleagues at these other larger offices.  Also, if you're thinking public, certain sectors (like higher ed) may have flexible services lists of a few offices they will ask to do small scrub things like reorganizing cubicles or new roofs that still count as that sector.  Getting on those lists isn't impossible with the right marketing.

Nov 15, 11 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: