Archinect
anchor

What building to see in Orlando?

Reason

I will go to Orlando next week for a family vacation. Wonder if anyone has good suggestions of what buildings to visit there, so I won't feel waste all the time there.
Thank you!

Oct 29, 05 3:13 pm
melivt

if you can get to lakeland, which isn't too far, there is a FLW building.

Other than that, go to ybor city (tampa) and hang out with the hotties.

Oct 29, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
AP

As far as specific bldgs in the city of Orlando...this isn't exactly a hotbed of Architecture...

there are, however, a few good areas that you may enjoy spending some time. Thornton Park, near downtown, is quite nice. It's on one side of Lake Eola, which is surrounded by parks and green space. Thornton Park has a pededestrian friendly scale, and there's even one or two good buildings. One in particular is a mixed use modernist-ish structure that has retail on the ground (including some swanky restaurants, cafes, a cool bookstore, a wierd but quality sushi place...and of course the obligatory starbucks). The stuff above is mostly offices and a reasonably well-disguised parking garage (by Orlando standards...my g/f works in the bldg for the arch firm that designed it...the office space is pretty sweet...high ceilings, plenty of natural light, balconies...). Thornton Park is worth at least an afternoon, especially if the weather is nice. If you run, Lake Eola is as good of a place as any for a jog.

Ok. place 2 of interest is Winter Park, the Park Avenue area to be specific. only worth it if you're in the area already. It's a brick-paved strip of shops and restaurants, 2-3 story bldgs, old by Orlando standards...there's another offshoot just like it a few blocks away on New England. If you end up there, eat at Dexter's.

The UCF campus would be interesting to visit. it's a pretty decent campus, and some of the new construction is good, better than the new stuff being built at the University of Florida. UCF has some older bldgs that aren't bad either....the campus is east of everything else in Orlando.

Otherwise, downtown is ok, nothing special. Plenty of bars and clubs, if that's your thing. Bar-B-Q Bar is my favorite bar down there...laid back, good music. There's a MatisYahu concert at The Social on Nov3rd...

You could always visit Celebration, for a dose of NewUrbanism...;)

feel free to email me if you wanna...enjoy your vacation.

Oct 29, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

melivt, AP thanks for both of your suggestions! I will spend a day to check out Frank Lloyd Wright's building at Lakeland. And enjoy the rest of the time to check out places in the city that AP recommended.

Oct 30, 05 1:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: