Archinect
anchor

Help Me Solve a Design Problem

farwest1

I have a tricky little design problem.  I'm designing a house in Houston, Texas, where humidity and termites are a problem. I'm trying to choose a cladding material that's acceptable to my client.

Because of humidity and termites, the client doesn't want wood siding.  He also doesn't want a "typical" lapped house siding like Hardieplank.  He won't accept any sort of corrugated metal, which he calls too industrial. Nor does he want stucco--thank god.  Brick would be acceptable, but it's too expensive, and he won't accept any sort of thin-brick or stick-a-brick.

Additionally, I've proposed some sort of fiber cement panel rain screen, but my client wants the scale of the cladding to mimic other brick or lap-sided houses in the area.

So I'm looking for some sort of novel solution--minimal, modern, and contextual.  Is there a tongue-and-groove fiber cement product out there?  Or a "pre-fabricated" rain screen system?

Nov 15, 11 8:19 am
postal

"...scale of the cladding to mimic..." made me think of this...  might not be within the price point though

Nov 15, 11 8:49 am  · 
 · 
miesian

I don't see how you can afford a proper rain screen but not brick. Having said that, you could look at terra cotta rain screens. You can also do some very nice things with zinc systems that can be "scaled." 

Postal's link looks very nice too.

Nov 15, 11 11:50 am  · 
 · 
CLS11

If you are using a wood frame (treated or not), regardless of the cladding, termites will try to get to it.  Foundation walls should extend above grade by 8" or so.

Don't know the neighborhood context, but Hardie Panel vertical siding can be an option for not looking "lapped".

Nov 18, 11 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
TedTedTed

http://www.daltileproducts.com/series.cfm?series=362&next=7&pg=2 - I believe this was just released (or is in the process of being released).  I was told by a Daltile rep recently that it is about $18.00 per SF installed (Chicago, Union price) which is about what we see for brick veneer installations here in Chicago.  This can be direct applied like you would with a tile installation, or a rainscreen application (Daltile is still looking at fastening options for rainscreen systems, though).  I believe Laticrete is the only manufacturer with a fully warrant-able grout and mortar system for it currently, but we were told by the end of the year MAPEI would have one as well.  I don't even have a sample kit for this product yet, so I don't have a ton of specifics on it.

I have also looked at The Size (http://thesize.es/) in the past for porcelain wall panel systems, but they were about twice the cost of what we were told the Daltile product would be.  It seems to be a very nice product, but it is made in Europe and it costs more.

Nov 18, 11 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This thread reminds me of the good old days of Archinect.... 

Nov 18, 11 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

I personally, would make the client move to a better climate.

Nov 18, 11 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: