Archinect
anchor

Career Advice ASAP

Spackle

Was in the process of wrapping up my M.Arch 1 applications when I was randomly offered an opportunity to work for a design/build company in Iraq. Unfortunately I can't disclose any more than other than it's 12 months, 4 X what i make now as a full time paid intern doing urban planning in SF and has incredible travel perks.

Is this an opportunity worth pursuing and what will this do for my academic and professional career?

Experience, speculation, opinion... is welcome.  

Cheers

Nov 14, 11 12:42 pm
citizen

Is it for The Bluth Company on Arrested Development?  (The parallel is too much to resist.  Also: "I've made a huge mistake.")

Sorry.  Okay.  If it's just a year, it's probably worth considering, given other perks you allude to.  It'll be terrific experience, in many ways.  Just be careful over there.

Nov 14, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Is your end goal to be a licensed architect in the US? If so, remember NCARB doesn't like people who do things out of order or not according to their ideals, see the Occupy NCARB thread.

Nov 14, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Spackle

Citizen, I love you.

Nov 14, 11 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
comb

There's a reason they're paying 4x what you would make in the US. First of all, it's dangerous as hell. Second, I"m not inclined to think you'll gain a lot of experience that'll later be highly useful once (if) you return to the US, other than being able to tell some war stories. Thirdly, I've known a few folks who have been seduced by 'opportunities' like this and regretted it almost immediately after arriving in-country.

How much is your ass worth to you ?

Nov 14, 11 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Spackle

Thanks TINT,

I haven't even applied for my M.arch yet so I don't think NCARB plays a part in this decision.

Nov 14, 11 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Spackle

FYI - I am confined to a compound. With exception of vacation, I am not allowed to leave the base, which heavily secured by the company's private security. 

I've actually heard Iraq is the safest of place to be in the M.E. From makeup and clothes to technology, the people and culture are more evolved than the news and popular opinion suggest. 

Nov 14, 11 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
comb

Un..huh.

List of private contractor deaths in Iraq: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_private_contractor_deaths_in_Iraq

You're old enough to make an informed decision ... just know the real risks.

Money's not everything.

Nov 14, 11 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Beyond money and risk, there is the ethical result that will come from your action.

The measure of that is determined by who benefits. Is it the Iraqi people, a military contractor, the US government, an oil company?

Nov 14, 11 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ethics factor into work here in the US, too. 

Many on here have done work on new buildings which forced demolition of old buildings and the relocation on previous occupants; or for clients developing on greenfield sites, or who got a zoning variance by sketchy political means. 

Obviously there are great risks over there, and quite possibly ethical questions to consider.  But don't let the GASP! IRAQ? crowd kill the buzz.

Nov 14, 11 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

The contractor deaths have gone down significantly since the mid 2000's. In fact, there is only one in 2011. 

I hope there isn't "light treason" involved in this job.

Nov 14, 11 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Spackle

Safety is certainly my primary concern. I'm 27. I got a lot of living left to do, but I can't spend my whole life working in a frozen banana stand. 

Nov 14, 11 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

The only RFPs I won while at my prior firm were to be the 'architect' for several DoD facilities around the middle east as part of a design-build team. Everything was already designed to about the 50% SD phase, all we needed to do is tweak stuff to match climate and soils/foundations (not much architecting). Yes, they pay really well (and it's pretty safe), but life will be very very boring, hot, and of not much professional gratification. This economy, it's worth earning $$$$ and then trying to land an internship gig of your dreams while living off the savings. I wouldn't hold it against you if I was still practicing and looking to hire.

there are ethical and moral issues of who the laborers are on the design/build team. Are they getting paid a living wage, and treated well or are they being exploited? Go in with your eyes open.

good luck and stay safe!

Nov 14, 11 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Spackle

Thanks Barry, that is really helpful information. 

Nov 14, 11 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: