Archinect
anchor

cooper GRAD?

heard rumors late this summer about a possible grad dept. @ cooper union, does anyone else have any information on it or heard anything about it?

Oct 27, 05 5:28 am
vado retro

i work with a structural engineer who went to cooper hewitt. when i talked about john hejduk he just sort of stared at me sideways. smart guy though.

Oct 27, 05 7:57 am  · 
1  · 

hah!

i thought cooper union was non-accredited...must be wrong

?

Oct 27, 05 9:37 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

cooper is accredited.

Oct 27, 05 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The Cooper Union has an accredited, highly-respected B.Arch program. They also have engineering, fine arts, and graphic arts programs.
The Cooper Hewitt is a different institution entirely, and they don't have engineering. The Cooper Hewitt has a museum, and with it a museum-based education program offering a Master of Decorative Arts and some other degree and certificate programs, which are jointly administered by The New School (specifically by Parsons School of Design, which is a division of The New School.)

Oct 27, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
j-turn

the engineering department at cooper union is in the Hewitt building

Oct 27, 05 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

True, but Cooper's "Hewitt building" is on 3rd Avenue, near the rest of Cooper Union. The Cooper Hewitt museum (which is actually part of the Smithsonian) is on 91st street.

Oct 27, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig
Jennifer Love Hewitt in a Mini-Cooper

Oct 27, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
arnje

Hewitt was Peter Cooper's son-in-law. The museum used to be part of Cooper's holdings, which they ceded to the Smithsonian some years back. The Hewitt Building is the administration building, not the School of Engineering building.

Oct 27, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Ok has anyone called about the Grad program?

Oct 27, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Melissa Benca at (212) 353-4112

Oct 27, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

it's still only a possible what if....still years away and it will not be full tuition paid program.

Oct 27, 05 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Lord Auch

I was under the impression that Cranbrook was the unoficial Grad Dept of Cooper.

Oct 27, 05 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

did you know that cooper union owns the chrysler building?

what's going on at cooper these days? we always here about the glory days but what's the atmosphere there? how's tony vidler? who's cool on the faculty? still drawing by hand or have computers crept in?

Oct 27, 05 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
dlj

j-turn: i believe they only own the property, not the building.

Oct 28, 05 2:14 am  · 
 · 
dlb

the cooper union school of architecture currently only has an undergraduate degree.

dean tony vidler would like to start a graduate school.

study at cooper union is currently free, as set down by peter cooper.

the graduate school in architecture would be a fee-paying operation.

some of the existing professors and many students do not belive you should have a fee-paying course at the school - of any kind.

the school does not have the financial resources to initiate a free graduate school - in fact it is currently having a difficult time to continue with the type of services and education that marked cooper in the 70's and 80's.

vidler, and some others, believe that the only way to give cooper some financial stability and to provide a deeper range of architectural practice and to re-invigorate the undergraduate school is with a graduate program.

those who oppose vidler are determined to see the school remain as it was 25 years ago.

Oct 30, 05 12:24 am  · 
 · 
job job

i remember seeing the 'education of an architect' bible in first year and crying for envy. then the 'mask of medusa' with its bizarre poetry.

powerful as it was, these days allegory isn't that interesting for me.

i think it's an error to lionize hejduk or boyarsky - it fossilizes institutions (IIT still lives with Mies - must be something to do with working in a berlin art gallery typology).

does scofidio still teach there?

Oct 30, 05 6:52 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

snowi i disagree with your point about Hejduk, unless of course in doing so it means Cooper won't grow and by extension become meaningless....

Oct 30, 05 8:27 am  · 
 · 
job job

Hi betadinesutures

When I hear about the halcyon days of when _______ was around, it suggests to me an attitude of stagnation. Hejduk was a prominent figure in education. As a parallel, Alvin Boyarsky presided over a strong faculty and exceptional students; I’ve heard that tutors and students were unhappy about the recent grad school as a diminishing of their diploma program.

My comments are not a slight against Hejduk – cults of personality just make me nervous.
In fact the post was only to draw a comparison to another ‘legendary’ institution.
[are you a staunch Marxist, and do you like popper? I’m so anti-hegel right now]

Oct 30, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: