Archinect
anchor

I just took my GREs, what do ya think?

hariom

I am a little disappointed because I did muc better on the practice tests. I got:

530 V
540 Q

Oct 26, 05 8:17 pm
SuperHeavy

taking mine nov. 1st.

worried like hell i would embarass myself with my scores (esp Q)

did respectably on the computerized practice test and was worrying less.

now apparently i should start worrying again.

Oct 26, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
hariom

so its that bad? I was hoping I wouldn't have to take it again, but maybe I should.

Oct 26, 05 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

Not saying anything about your scores, i haven't taken mine yet so have no base for comparison.

I scored a 680 V and 610 Q on the powerprep exam, 95th and 55th percentile, respectively. I know i'm bad at math so felt okay about those scores.

My comment on worrying again dealt with scoring lower on the actual than the practice tests. Were your practice tests the CAT type from the powerprep program?

Also, as has been discussed to great degree, GRE's aren't really looked at much for arch grad schools (apparently) so in general don't sweat it. That's why i used the term embarass above, that's all you really have to keep from doing. Throw your time and energy into your statement and portfolio, if you got the chops an average GRE won't sink you.

Oct 26, 05 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

how are the percentiles determined?

when I took them last year, I got a 710V and that was only 85th percentile.

Oct 27, 05 12:26 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

700M
360V

...yea, so i communicate by numerical code

Oct 27, 05 12:48 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

Q, not M

Oct 27, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

the percentiles are ranged against those who've taken the test over the last three years (maybe large cross section, maybe all, not sure), so taking the test on the same day with lots of smarties or dimwits won't throw your score either way.

the percentiles I gave were based on that software, which doesn't look like it's been updated in 10 years. So they could be off considerably, perhaps leading to hariom's first post.

rebelguy- 1011100011110101 10011101 1111111100010 1101

Oct 27, 05 8:26 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

j- as far as the software goes, if it's the stuff straight off the GRE website, you'd think it'd be updated right.

...right?

Oct 27, 05 9:29 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

hey guys...I did better on the practice tests than I did on the actual thing...I got like an 1100 on the powerprep but not even a 1000 on the actual deal...but I got into school, and I got into schooll with people who blew it away...I did have a great GPA, a good portfolio considering I had not had formal training previously in architecture, I can write well, and I had good recommendations...I got into 3 places and didn't get into 2.
The GRE is important, but not bet your life on it!

Oct 27, 05 9:38 am  · 
 · 
hariom

Hey guys,

Thanks for the imput. I do think the other parts of my application are very strong. I have a really good GPA and I also think my portfolio is strong considering I haven't had any formal architectural training either. I'm going to focus on getting my statement of purpose just right.

I guess I'll wait and see how I did on the analytical writing section. I walked out feelin pretty confident about it. I know I shouldn't feel bad because I know that this score is not an accurate reflection of me. I remember having the same problem when I took the SATs, so maybe I just freak out under pressure.

SuperHeavy, Good Luck!

Oct 27, 05 9:54 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

Anybody have anymore experiences of getting into their desired school even with lower than average scores?

Oct 27, 05 10:25 am  · 
 · 
newuser

i can't wait to get past this.

Oct 27, 05 11:11 am  · 
 · 
newuser

· 
newuser

· 
newuser

· 
newuser

· 
newuser

Oct 27, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

What are you some kind of newuser? Patience, and lay off the trigger finger.

Oct 27, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
cynic

get over it newuser......you'll have to indulge this until april

Oct 27, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
montaigne

hariom, how much better did you do on your powerprep, or whatever practice test? and how much studying did you do? I ask because I'm in a comparable situation with my GRE's and wonder how much I could even improve my scores if I were to retake them in a month.

Oct 27, 05 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
hariom

On practice tests, Powerprep included, I got around a 600V and 700Q more or less each time. I didn't prepare much...maybe like a month or so. I kind of put the gres off because I wanted to focus on other parts of the application. I guess I should have prepared more.. oh well.

Oct 27, 05 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
newuser

6x? accident.

Oct 27, 05 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

so freaking out is apparently a cyclic thing for me.
my question this time...

So these things aren't important for us architect types right?
right.

so, when they list 70th percentile minimums and a 5.5 - 6.0 analytical scores on thier requirement lists, they are doing this as a joke?
they don't REALLY mean that.

wtf.

Oct 28, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
mn

where does it say that?

Oct 29, 05 12:41 am  · 
 · 

SH I never read that anywhere, that has been posted here once or twice, but as far as I know it is not a requirement.
I have friends in the big leagues of architectural schools with score far below that.

Oct 29, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

how long does it take before you find out your score?

Oct 29, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

if you take it by computer, you find out Verbal and Quantitative immediately, but have to wait a few weeks for your writing score. If you take it by paper, it's around a month for the whole thing, I think.

Oct 29, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

The minimums I stated were listed in with the gre section of one of the school's admissions requirements.

+q, so you're pretty much saying that 'no, they don't take them seroiusly'.

Oct 29, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

Some schools recommend certain minimums, but knowing that myself and friends got into schools without meeting some of those minimums I think you'll be fine. Just make sure everything else is solid.

Oct 29, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
ksArcher

Is it true that M.Arch programs don't look at the GRE much? Most people I hear speak about the GRE seem to think it is important. Anyone know much about this?

Oct 30, 05 1:34 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

660 v
680 q

and damn it feels good to have it over with.

Nov 1, 05 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
paper

740V
790Q
6AWA

Nov 2, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 
cynic

paper,

are you really human?

Nov 2, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

550v
790q

paper, really?

Nov 2, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

So there is no longer a logic section?

Nov 2, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

my motto all along was

"just don't embarrass yourself"

Nov 2, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha. That is why they have that click-here-to-delete-results-if-you-think-you-did-embarrassingly-bad button. But I don't think they call it that.

Nov 2, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

This has become and old school "mine is bigger than yours" type thread.
The GRE dont matter.

Nov 2, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
bLAyer

with your grammar it's no big surprise :)

Nov 2, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

word
the GRE aint got no ebonics.

Nov 2, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
DimagKharab

Hey Guys, this might look off topic. But anyone knows good GRE / GMAT discussion forums? It'd be great if we get a place to discuss stuff. :)

Here's one that I found -> http://forum.the-big-k.com/

Nov 6, 05 8:56 am  · 
 · 
DimagKharab

Joe-
If you got anything to share, you can put it in there. But you'll have to register first. :). The forum has just started (I guess). As people join in, it'll be more useful place.
I'm there coz those forums look cool ;-) what say?

Nov 6, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

i'm taking mine in less than two weeks and i haven't even started studying!!! am i royally screwed or WHAT?!

Nov 8, 05 12:43 am  · 
 · 
newuser

I'm taking mine at the end of the month no biggie. I started studying the stopped to take care of the other side of matters.
from what my professors\friends told me it only takes 2 weeks to study anyway.
get the kaplans book.

Nov 8, 05 1:12 am  · 
 · 
geezopeez

i just took two verbal diagnostics from the ETS's free cd. i got a 570 on the first try and a 780 on the second. wtf?

Nov 12, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: