Archinect
anchor

Australia - Must see sites

Landman

A close friend is heading to Australia. (Melbourne & Sydney)
Any recommendations of exciting arch to look up?

Oct 26, 05 7:49 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

there's a sort of an opera house thing in one of those cities i think, but I can't remember much about it.

Oct 26, 05 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Landman

Sorry I was not clear...
OTHER than the opera house and the Sydney Olympic Park.
Something from the last 5 years...?

Oct 26, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

sean godsell and andrew maynard (mainly houses and smaller projects)

Oct 27, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
antipod

plenty in melbourne...the museum and national gallery would be a good start.

Oct 27, 05 8:25 am  · 
 · 
antipod

...almost forgot about fed square as well. what a egg!

http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/about/
http://melbourne.museum.vic.gov.au/
http://www.federationsquare.com.au/

after that just go for a walk! St. Kilda is pretty nice place to check out as well.

Oct 27, 05 8:30 am  · 
 · 
dia

In Melbourne, and to a lesser extent Sydney you can't turn around without bumping into some interesting architecture. These are cities with populations of 4 and 6 million respectively, consequentially, there are a lot of great buildings to look at.

Melbourne's CBD is very concentrated and organised around a grid, so it has a dense variety of commercial, cultural and shopping buildings. Antipod lists some good examples.

I'd wander around the 2 university campuses on the edge of the CBD grid to see some interesting campus buildings. Also, the cultural preciinct just south of the Yarra River abounds with interesting buildings, particularly some Royal College of the Arts buildings.

Unfortunately, the last time I was in Sydney was about 8 years ago so I cant comment.

Oct 27, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
upside

drive up the coast from sydeny and see our amazing collection of giant fruit, shrimp, lawnmowers, crayfish......

or failing that, if they are going through canbera on the way to melbourne, have a look at walter burley griffins work, you vant miss it, its the whole city.

+

Oct 27, 05 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
dia

The work above is from Ashton Raggatt McDougall, arguably the most critical and influential practice in Australia.

Oct 27, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
upside

yep, sorry shoulda put that in.

Oct 27, 05 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
dia

What do you reckon upside down? A-R-M good?

Oct 27, 05 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
upside

yeah, great stuff, a good sense of humour, bordering on the cynical sometimes with their 'sampling' of others work, but i like a good piss take, specially when libeskind attempts to sue them.

Oct 28, 05 2:50 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

St. Kilda for nice cake! (Melbourne)

Oct 28, 05 4:08 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Get on a boat in Sydney Harbour.

Oct 28, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i drove from sydney to melbourne. it took us 10 days with camping on the road. great campsites and wilderness areas. kangroos come out around sunset. the whole family of kangroos, and then they disappear to jungle again, untill next day. i got used to driving on the right side of the car pretty quick.
i liked sydney better. i guess the beautiful harbor, warmer weather and city beaches did it for me. it was the summertime as well and it was my first time celebrating the new year in the middle of the summer. my friend lived a block from bondi. she introduced me to some architects who took me a glen murcutt house.
i also liked swimming pools on the beach which are filled by ocean water and washed out and refreshed by the waves. food is really good in melbourne and at the time i drank many bottles of australian vine with seafood. the town names with native names were fun to pronounce.
amazing place with some mystery and australians are fun people and very multi cultural to my liking. you see a lot of modern designs by just walking around sydney and melbourne.
sydney opera house is a masterpiece, but its being surrounded by new condos partially blocking its appearance. i also took to ferry to a nearby island in sydney. i am really bad in remembering names.
make sure you listen some native music. it is magical. and melbourne is home to some great jazz and rock bands.

Oct 28, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
frontline

Melbourne has lots of great buildings and bars.

When you get there buy the following items:

A short history of Melbourne Architecture ($AUD20)
Great pocket companion to most of the key sites.

The Bar Secrets of Melbourne ($AUD10)
A pack of cards that show you where to find all the cool hidden bars. It has maps and descriptions of all the bars

Both can be purchased at most book shops.

In the mean time check out
http://aardvark.tce.rmit.edu.au

Not a great site but it has a good list of buildings.

It’s a great city … enjoy

Nov 1, 05 9:13 am  · 
 · 
dia

I agree with Frontline.

Also check out the RAIA which has lists of award winners organised by location and type, so anyone with a particular interest can check out buildings that way.

BOTS, I was fortunate enough to live in 2 great places in Melbourne. Firstly, just off Chapel Street in South Yarra, and finally on Fitzroy Street in St Kilda, just up from the Bowling Club. The cakes on Acland Street were always a temptation, as was The George, The Prince and of course The Espy.

Nov 1, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Marcus Trimble

I agree that Melbourne has more in the way of contemporary Architecture than Sydney.

So.

In Melbourne I would add the Malthouse Gallery by Wood Marsh - a great rusty libeskind-ey job.

In Sydney -
The towers by Harry Seidler are world class. Australia Square, The MLC Centre (with its niemeyer mushroom), The Horizon Apartments in Darlinghurst.

Also in the CBD check out the MONEY foyers of Governor Phillip Tower.

Elizabeth Bay House for some bitchin' georgian action. ooohhh...nice oval stair...

It may be a cliche, but the Harbour and the beaches are what Sydney is about really.

If you head out to Watsons Bay one day, make a little detour to the FANTASTIC Wentorth Memorial Chapel on Fitzwilliam Street in Vaucluse by Don Gazzard and Ric Le Plastrier.

Also, if you are into cheap one-liners and all the subtlety of Hey Hey Its Saturday, then yes ARM's buildings are for you...

Nov 1, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Now, now Marcus. Hey Hey Its Saturday had subtle. hidden depths only discernable by Raggatt and ilk. I think you deserve the gong...

Nov 1, 05 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Marcus Trimble

Ha! Yes, I know...I shouldn't throw stones

But then, a sarcastic website is not a national museum either.

Nov 1, 05 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Landman

Hey guys,Thanks for all the info. Well appreciated.

My friend set off to Australia this morning.
I will make sure to have her share her imagery with us, to visualize some of your recommendations.
Cheers !

Nov 2, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I just found out my uncle is going to fly me out to visit him next summer (their winter)!!! He lives in Melbourne but works in Auckland, so I'll get to hop over to New Zealand for a few days too. God, I'm so excited!!! I have a million more pressing things to do, but now I am researching flights to South East Asia to see if I can make a summer of it.

Also, Penn offers a summer studio in Japan so maybe I could:
Plan A
1) win lottery.
2) buy private jet or I suppose I can fly commercial ;)
3) New Zealand>Australia>Indonesia>Singapore>Thailand>Hong Kong>visit friends in Taiwan>summer studio in Japan>back to Philly...

Plan B
1) Free ticket to Australia
2) spend a week exploring every inch I can.
3) 3-5 days in New Zealand
4) back to Philly- work as many hours as I can before school starts because I'll be broke.

his email also said...
"We have just bought a weekend house in the country near a place called Woodend in country Victoria. 5 acres and lots of space with kangaroos, koalas and kookaburras in the garden."

kangaroos and koalas in the garden?? So awesome!!!! I had to look up kookaburras...

Anyway, I am so incredibly excited-even though it's a year away. I am going to take note of all the 'nector recommendations of places to visit. Any other suggestions? What's the minimum amount of time I should go for? It's so big...I know I can't see it all....

Jul 1, 07 3:38 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

If you're going to do Auckland, you want to get out and see some wild winter west coast beaches, the newly-extended Museum, and the mountain pa-sites for starters.

Jul 1, 07 4:41 am  · 
 · 

there's a Renzo Piano tower just up from the Opera House in Sydney that is worth taking a look at. There's a sky bar on an adjacent building great to take photos from.

Jul 1, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
KaNgArOoOoO!
Jul 1, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I'm in Auckland, by the way, so if you need some more recommendations, let me know.

Jul 2, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

thanks agfa8x...I have a year to plan...but I'm so excited!

Jul 2, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

In Sydney - Bondi Beach, trashy and beautiful.

Jul 2, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: