Archinect
anchor

practical questions about designing Vancouver?

cypress

Was wondering if anyone could help with these questions.

I'm unlicensed but have been asked by a friend to design an addition to an existing building in the City of Vancouver.

1. What building Code does city of Vancouver use?
2. Is it common in Vancouver for unlivcensed folk to design a project and then get it stanped by a licensed architect?
3. What is the general permit procedure for small projects in Vancouver?

Any insite would be great.

Oct 26, 05 5:02 pm
whistler

First off it rains here.

Second its the BC building code and City of Vancouver Bylaw ( both typically the Vancouver bylaw is tougher than the BCBC.

Third it rains here.

Fourth you can get someone else to stamp but if its a small project you may get away with just your Struc. Eng. stamp. ( like a house )

Fifth Check the zoning as some areas have design panel review etc of Development permits issues, before Building permit. All that stuff should be on the City of Vancouver web site.

Did I mention it rains.

Oct 26, 05 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
cypress

Thanks Whistler

... I lived most of my life in Vancouver so I'm familiar with pts. 1 & 2. It's just my architectural life that's been elsewhere.

How much do people typically charge to stamp drawings??

Oct 26, 05 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
nathaniel

I'll stamp them for a case of beer. Hmmm, I bet there is someone willing to undercut that.... how about 6 beer and a fifth of rum?

Oct 26, 05 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
cypress

You have a deal nathaniel ... I'll even throw in an 8th of ...

Oct 26, 05 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: