Archinect
anchor

Having Your Kids see your work

whistler

This was inspired by Jump's comments on another thread. Anybody else find a high level of satisfaction in taking your kids to see your own work. Doesn't, matter that they don't understand the subtly, or complain about the bad details. Is it the pride, the place, or the work they might enjoy.

I have personally been involved with several projects that are very kid friendly and do really enjoy seeing kids enjoy it but particular when my own kids enjoy it.

Thoughts?

Oct 26, 05 3:21 pm
bLAyer

It's just showing off really, kids dont know the difference anyway

Oct 26, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

what type of parent/spouse/son/relative/friend/stranger would you be if you didnt show off your work?
No one understands you or your architecture, you can show your momma a picture of a little mediterranean villa and she would be proud to talka bout her Architect son/daughter. Noone understands, show off it makes YOU feel good.

Oct 26, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
salmon

I disagree, i have done a lot of work with rec centres and pool facilities lately. All are moving beyond the typical pool/gym format and are exploring more interactive spaces which can be used by a wide range of people (toddlers to adults) simultaneously. I find the reaction from my children and their use of these spaces to be most informative. Its surprising what elements hold a child's interest the most... in one case they completely ignored a highly contrived paddlewheel themed play area and prefered to spend their time pitching their rubber flip flops at the fibreglass pelicans we suspended from the ceiling.

Oct 26, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
rajish

I think that pretty much everything that you say salmon is just shit.

Oct 26, 05 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
salmon

...and just what do you base that statement on R... or are you still just looking to get a reaction out of people by spewing out whatever nonsense enters your empty skull first. Personally I think you're unimaginative and just plain boring.

Oct 26, 05 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

My neice's grandmother lives in a building that my office is doing basic renovations to, and she thinks its the coolest thing that her uncle was involved with the whole thing. When I see her she sometimes asks me when its going to be done, etc. Yeah, she's nine and has real simple understanding of thing ("uncle did that") but its nice to be able to show her what I do.

Talking to a kid about drafting, submittals, and the like won't get you anywhere, but having something to point at and say "thats what uncle does all day"...

Oct 26, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
rajish

uhh... yeah....eat it too!

Oct 26, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
salmon

Again Raj I am underwhelmed with you communication skills, but if adding anonymous comments to a discussion board makes up for your lack of talent and your small penis, then all power to you.

Oct 26, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
rajish

hey, good one on the small penis comment. really adds to your argument of being a douche bag!

Oct 26, 05 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
e

aw, how cute. uncle pixelwhore.

Oct 26, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I picked up redlines on a job and my great-uncle told the whole nursing home I was the architect for it.

Oct 26, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
salmon

An arguement would imply that there is a topic being discussed, you have yet to put one forward... douche bag? What are you 12

Oct 26, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
rajish

whatever hoser, i've got to go back to work. it's been too long wasting my time with a worthless little fuck like yourself.
take it easy....or at least just take it!

Oct 26, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
salmon

By "take it" I assume that you would intend to give it?
Have fun drafting that stair detail Raj

Hoser... I guess he told me eh!

Oct 26, 05 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
zahand

not topic related.
but WOW. i really don't understand Rajish.
is there a childhood background too your always-present-aggression?

Oct 26, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I feel bad for rajish... for being such a dick.

Oct 26, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

with reference to kids and architecture:

why should kids be excluded from the experience of architecture? A child may have no idea about how things are built, and may have a limited experience of the world; but they are human, and are perfectly capable of having their own experiences. I would greatly value a child's opinion of my design.

Architecture works on a lot of levels. One of those levels should be the experience of anybody, of any age. Otherwise it's elitist and therefore reprehensible.

Oct 26, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i'm looking forward to taking my wife and 2 girls to have lunch this weekend at a restaurant i did that recently opened.

Oct 26, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

I think kids with crayons in their hands should be excluded from the experience of architecture - - - unless a change order for a purple line at 18" ht. goes through proper channels.

Oct 26, 05 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
digger

i was involved with a retail center once that contained a Toys-R-Us ... piece of crap building, but my two young daughters thought i was god ....

Oct 26, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
digger

rajish / salmon: why don't the two of you start your own hate thread elsewhere on archinect and bash each other's brains out there ... you waste space and time here for folks who really want to deal with the posted topic

Oct 26, 05 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
upside

how about one of those bill crosby 'kids say the darndest things'......about architecture. put a buch of kids infront of a few famous bulidings and see what they say. be a hoot.

Oct 26, 05 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
upside

nice one digger, im going to start one for them

Oct 26, 05 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my dad was quite a successful man. he took me around town in his big black lincoln continental with suicide doors. he would point out his accomplishments and say, see that! i did that. and you will never ever do anything half as good. i miss you dad.

Oct 26, 05 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

upside down, I bet Bill Cosby could have a show called "Adults Say the Darndest Things" about architecture. That would be pretty funny too... as long as they screen them beforehand to filter out the Archinerds.

Oct 27, 05 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

A few years ago, I helped out with girl scouts that were learning about architecture. I brought in some plans and tried to explain how they represented space, how walls and doors were drawn etc. I told them they could think of a plan as if you took the top off your house and looked down on it from above. I then I had them draw a house plan and site plan.

One girl drew her floor plan in a one point perspective looking down -- exactly like I said in a way. It was genious! She drew the doors open, complete with door knobs and windows with muntins, all right there on the floor plan. I didn't have the heart to tell it was wrong.

I DID tell the troop leader that little "Sarah" had some talent and her parents should know, and maybe she should be pushed to discover her visual and spatial talents. Too bad the troop leader was too dumb to realize and just said something like 'Okey-dokey' with no intentions of realizing what little Sarah had done, and only cared that Sarah hadn't drawn her site plan because her floor plan took too long.

Kids always amaze me with their ability to think outside the box.

Oct 27, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

I think being a parent bring you to a different level to understand architecture. I can't waite for my son to grow a little older and able to walk. I will bring him to visit my buildings and all the good ones. He did go to Europe with us and visited a lot of famous buildings last summer when he is still in the belly!-)

Oct 27, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Forgot to mention, that is why I don't really like doing custom house. Eventhough it is cool to work with all the interesting details, and a lot of budget. But with all the work you put in, only the rich family live there can appreciate it. It has so little influence to the city and people in general. It is sad!

Oct 27, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
fordified

I tend to think a little kid's experience of architecture is the most honest. What makes a kid want to run -- or have any reaction -- in certain places? I'll bet these patterns often repeat themselves across kids. Architecture does (or does not) invite all of us to participate in our surroundings, but perhaps children are prone to and respond with the least conscious, most guttural reactions.

I think about that sometimes. I'd take my 2 year-old nephew to see something I've done but he seems more impressed with me acting like a dog on the floor.

Oct 27, 05 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

four great comments in a row!
totally agree with all of them.

Oct 28, 05 1:33 am  · 
 · 
FormuLA

i have had the most interesting conversations with my [now 8] daughter regarding my drawings and theoretical projects. what insight. what pure critique. she tells me how she sees them being used... totally funny sometimes.

Oct 28, 05 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
rigor mortis

its more difficult to please a child who sees things beyond its physical characteristics (metaphysically) than to please an adult who appreciate things and considers it beautiful just because his newspaper tells him so.

Nov 10, 05 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
baldo

picasso once remarked that a child is the purest and truest artist for a child's imagination is unbiased, limitless and pure, innocent... in every sense of the word...
let me share an anectode:

a 9 yr old child was drawing something in her art class,
the teacher asked her what was that she was drawing,
the child responded that she was drawing God,
the teacher answered in a confused manner:
"but no one knows what God looks like.."
the child said: "you will soon find out"
----------------------------------------

show your work to your children, you could probably get the most genuine response from them.

Nov 10, 05 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: