Archinect
anchor

Columbia

mn

For M.ARch degree

"Applicants are required to complete the following course work: one term of studio in the visual arts (drawing, painting, or sculpture). In addition, a reading knowledge of a modern foreign language and a survey course in architectural history are required. "

What does it mean? How do they know if an applicant has a reading knowledge of a modern language?
Thanks.

Oct 26, 05 3:05 pm
bLAyer

Doesnt it just mean that you have to take a language class?

Oct 26, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
mn

I was not required to take a language course at Berkeley. Am I screwed?

Oct 26, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
bLAyer

I mean its not a prerequisite but you have to take one while you attend.

Oct 26, 05 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
mn

ohh cool!

Oct 26, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
rajish

I like to look at it this way; If you can't understand the application/pre recs, you shouldn't be applying to the Ivy League.

Oct 26, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
salmon

wow words of wisdom from a guy who knows nothing about it

Oct 26, 05 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
mn

yeah. be realistic.
i totally agree rajish.

Oct 26, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

can you read/write any other language? as long as you can demonstrate as much you don't even have to take a class. did you take spanish or french in high school?

i dunno...i went to UT and they thought i was an non-native english speaker right until my 4th year of school...i had this "take the TOEFL" red flag on my file for four years...paperwork glitch

Oct 26, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
bLAyer

I went to check out their website and it's a bit confusing whether you really need to have the language stuff before or what. But most likely you do, I am not sure how you would prove it if it wasnt a course during undergrad or highschool but even then that doesnt mean anything. Lotsa people have taken french in HS but cant speak it at all. I would just call them ask them.

Oct 26, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

2 words: call

Oct 26, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
mn

i just called. for those of you who care, it must be done prior to attending. h.s. langauage course is acceptable.
( guess i was being lazy...)

Oct 26, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: