Archinect
anchor

Gifts targeting architects

meemiko

Hey everyone,

Our interior design firm wants to send out gifts to court architecture firms/architects we'd like to do work with (our principal has a MA in Arch). We're thinking of something that either utilizes space well and shows a conscious design (a mobile?) or something architects actually use that relates to the field.

Nothing cheesy with our logo on it, packaged in a clean box, that we'd hand deliver.

Any thoughts? What would catch your attention and make you consider working with us?

Oct 25, 05 3:08 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

the Vitra Miniature Chairs are awesome gifts.

Oct 25, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

cash is the only gift i ever truly appreciate...

Oct 25, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
bLAyer

how about a membership to a gym? :) or stripclub...either way. we dont get out enough...

Oct 25, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

how 'bout what everyone gets an architect when they don't know what else to get...a Frank Lloyd Wright book...i know that i've received 3 or 4 FLlW books because of this completely original idea

Oct 25, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Oct 25, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
digger

first of all ... try to remember that the gift will only draw attention to who you are ... by itself, it's not likely to win you any work

second, i would suggest something from the decorative arts ... a nice piece of pottery or a piece of art-glass ... it would not have to be excessively expensive, just well done ... something the receiver would place on his/her credenza in the office and be proud to own ... that would associate your firm with good taste and the architect would tend to think of you each time his/her eye ran over the object

then again, if it is not that person's taste, you're screwed ...

Oct 25, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Um,

How about a stellar portfolio of your firm's work?

That's the only thing that would convince me to work with someone.

Oct 25, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
lab626

How bout bringing a real job to the table.....

Oct 25, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Poiboy

I think you should send coasters and coffee mugs. God I know I use it constantly.

That or a crack pipe.

Oct 25, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

How about good sketching pens? I mean good, refillable pens. you can get nice German ones for under $20/ea (bulk is probably even cheaper).

One of our Japanese clients threw one in with some material samples they sent us. So cool! If one the US had a heritage of gift giving.

Oct 25, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

I would recommend anything by Bodum - a $400 cappacino machine is a nice way of saying we are serious, work with us. Throw in a bag of blue mountain coffee (whole bean ofc) and then you are cooking with gas.

Hey that would work for me!!

Oct 25, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
atowle

I think this is a brilliant idea . . . Have already suggested it as a christmas gift to a company we work for making bespoke garden pavillions.

Lego have developed a free piece of computer software you can download from this link: http://www.lego.com/eng/factory/design/ldd.asp and use to design your very own lego models from any number of any lego pieces ever created! Once you've modelled your building / architetcural wonder-model you can upload it back to the website and get them to send you a box with all the pieces inside plus instructions! Then your future client can impress all his 5 year old friends with his very own personal lego model!

Oct 26, 05 7:14 am  · 
 · 

lego?

how about a custom design, limited edition wireless mouse? do some product design while you woo clients...if its good enough i'll buy it.

Oct 26, 05 7:42 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

completely un-original, totally appreciated, used frequently

Oct 26, 05 7:48 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

pretty...

Oct 26, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I have to agree with Susan here - a well-done portfolio of your firm's work will get their attention, especially, of course, if it's also delivered with a treat basket chock full of muffins, danishes, bagels, chocolates, cookies, chips, nuts, and a couple pieces of fruit (for appearance sake).

When the staff in the drafting studio get free food, they'll remind the principals who the firm was that sent it.

Oct 26, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

food and alcohol, yes! likely that portfolio will hold my interest only as long as the wine and cheese hold out.

mmm, and i love homemade stuff. (the cookies that our plumbing contractor's wife makes are the hit of the season in our office.)

Oct 26, 05 11:55 am  · 
 · 
trace™

The best gift I've seen was by a graphic design firm (with big buck clients, no doubt). They made this miniture lab kit - beeker, measuring stuff, etc., and put it all in a styrofoam container. It was a bar tending kit, all custom with their logos, etc.

Must have cost a fortune, but it looked really cool.

Whatever you send, make it special. I wouldn't send anything that isn't 'personal'.
I think a very well designed, quality printed portfolio with those treats will go a long way, just make sure the pastries are top class (no dunkin' donuts or krispy cream) is a hard idea to beat.

Lastly, make sure you have a great logo that is plastered everywhere - branding and visual recognition goes a long, long way. Something architects/interior designers seem to not understand.

To go even further, you could 'brand' some cookies or something. Make a really cool box with your companies logo, put cookies in it.
Just tossing ideas out there....making me hungry.

Just don't forget that logo. I know the firms that I've seen give marketing presentation's that I remember had some little thing with their logo (like those roach clip/business card things) on it.

Oct 26, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Midgets. Send Midgets.

Oct 26, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

two acceptable christmas/birthday gifts among the male family members of an aquaintance of mine.

liquor
lottery tickets

Oct 26, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

a lap dance

Oct 26, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
nathaniel

A hooker, a bingo hall gift certificate and a bottle of cologne. All that one requires outside of the office.

Oct 26, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: