Archinect
anchor

Render farm

Hasselhoff

This is just a question of symantics, but it bothers me. There is one studio this semester that thinks they are the shit because they do lighting simulations. They get really cocky about how 'awesome' they are at Max. Render farming is a term used when you spread the work of rendering a batch of files or animation over a group of networked PCs, right? When you just set up a series of images in back burner and let it run, that is simply batch rendering? I'll see someone walking around or in the lab and say "hey, what's up?" and get a "Yeah, I'm render farming" or "Yeah, my computer's a render farm right now." But I know they are only using a single PC. Am I correct in my usage of the terms? It's just one of those things that is annoying like when you can't remember what movie a quote is from or something.

Oct 25, 05 10:30 am
trace™

You are correct. A render 'farm' is a group of PCs (or Macs) networked together. This is the 'farm'. It's a 'thing', not an action. If someone said they are 'render farming', then it's either some endearing term they are using in that studio or the guy has no clue about what it is.

If he's refering to his computer as 'part of a render farm', then that means someone else is using his computer to render. The problem is, that when you are doing heavy rendering, it'll slow the hell out of the PC, making it unusable at points. So when he's referring to this, he's most likely stating that his computer is not usable because it's rendering.

The farm can be either the computers that the studio is using, a bunch in a back room, or both. It just sits idle until someone opens Backburner and sends a render to 'the farm', then the computers they select will start to render. You can add/remove which PCs are used.

This is a great idea for a studio, in theory, but the problem would be when deadlines come and everyone is rendering, which would make the networked render farm next to useless.

Backburner will either #1 distribute frames to each PC, so PC1 gets 0-50, PC2 51-100, etc. The faster PCs will get more. #2 it could be a still image that is 'distributed' over several PCs. I've not used Max's native capabilities, but I've used Final Render's distributed rendering and it rocks!!

Hope that helps.

Oct 25, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Ok, just making sure I knew what I was talking about. No, they are just using Backburner as a render queue so they can tell it to render 20 scenes and then go do something else. They aren't network rendering. I've seen people unplug their PC from the network and I asked "What are you doing?" And got the response, "I'm about to render farm."

Oct 25, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
manamana

wow, just wow...

Oct 25, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

I met some people who made a render farm with loads of rack mounted pc's, and they made all the racks out of wood because it was cheaper.
Wow- i think they had about 30 of them

Oct 25, 05 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

mao-

collective farming doesn't work!!!! you're misguided!

Oct 25, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

hasselhoff,

if they are unplugging their pc's from the network, they are most definately not sending something to a render farm. they are not render farmers. if they send something to a network with multiple computers, then maybe they can call themselves a farmer.

if they are just sending a group of sequences to there own computer, or lining them up in backburner, and they think that is hot shit, they are fooling themselves.

Oct 25, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

That's what I'm talking about.

Oct 25, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: