Archinect
anchor

Tokyo Salary

norche

Hi folks,

I am a MArch graduate from a famous US school and I got an offer from one of the star architects in Tokyo. 

They offered me 250000 yen a month. Is that a reasonable pay? Is that enough to cover living expenses, student loan and also save some money?
Right now, at where I am working as an Architectural Designer, I got paid around USD 3850. My practical experience is around a year, and I have worked on projects of different scale and building types, eg residential, mixed use, hospitality, commercial etc

Any insights would be welcome, thanksss

Chris

Nov 12, 11 9:25 pm
batman

tokyo is really expensive to live.

oh and the women there...forgot about paying your loans, they'll get you.

Nov 14, 11 2:51 am  · 
 · 
timing

That's reasonable from a stararchitect. And like what batman said, it's very expensive in tokyo. you probably need dig into your pocket every month. on the other hand, it's good experience.

Dec 23, 11 4:18 am  · 
 · 
ElGrecus

This is a good offer from a star architect in Tokyo. As you likely know, most new Japanese employees will do an "open desk" period (unpaid internship) for 3-6 months  This in not at all out of the ordinary in Japan.

If we're talking about SANAA, Toyo Ito, Atelier Bow-Wow or the like, don't hesitate. The experience cannot be beat. Eat good cheap ramen, work hard... don't expect to pay your student loans off fast, but take advantage of the good opportunity.

Dec 25, 11 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

that is not a bad salary for tokyo as long as you don't go crazy with the fancy apartment and so on.  Taxes are fairly low here so even after deductions you will be able to live.  wouldn'T count on saving very much.  yen is high right now though so you may be able to pay more of your loan than you thought. 

rent depends entirely on where you live but for a single room expect to pay 40,000 to 80,000 yen per month.  close to a station is more expensive than not, close to a major centre equally so.  anything inside the yamanote line will cost more than outside in general (there are exceptions of course) and places like setagaya cost more cuz its got some  cache. 

there are no real shitty places to live but lots of shitty buildings to choose from if you are not careful.  Also good to be aware of something called key money, which is a non-negotaible gift paid to the landlord of one or two months rent.  with deposit, key money and advance rent moving is quite expensive and a painful first cost.  so bring some cash otherwise you'll be stuck.  also you should be aware that a lot of apts charge maintenance fee and that gas water electricity is usually not included.  furnished apts also are rare and by furniture i mean fridge and stove as well. 

not to turn you off of things cuz otherwise its a good deal. just be aware of things and have some cash with you before coming over.  if you need any advice i been in tokyo for last 8 years and in japan for longer, just shoot me a line.

Dec 26, 11 12:11 am  · 
 · 
ligas

@norche

Did you end up taking the job offer? Do you know if you can expect your salary to increase after a few years? Also, I don't mean to pry but where did you get your MArch?

Jul 31, 13 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: