Archinect
anchor

USC architecture student charged with baby's murder

cracker

so do any of you USC students know anything about this case?

USC Student Charged in Infant's Death
Holly Ashcraft, 21, from Billings, Mont., faces counts of murder and child abuse in alleged abandonment of her newborn in a trash bin...

...USC spokesman James Grant said Ashcraft was a full-time (architecture) student in her third year. Citing privacy rules, Grant said he could not confirm a police statement that Ashcraft had been suspended because of academic problems but said she has now been suspended, pending the outcome of the criminal case.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-usc14oct14,0,6575347.story?coll=la-story-footer&track=morenews

Oct 24, 05 7:38 pm
garpike

geeeeeez!

Oct 24, 05 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
...And several said they wondered whether, as an out-of-state resident, she was even aware of a California law that allows a mother to relinquish an unwanted newborn at any hospital or fire station, with no questions asked.
Oct 24, 05 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

I'm no longer a student, but speak frequently with several third year students (same year as Ashcroft). Some kids in her studio were saying they couldn't even tell she was pregnant. Everyone seems really shocked - even those who weren't terribly fond of her never imagined her capable of something like this.

Oct 24, 05 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

christ jesus help us all

Oct 25, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

yeah. too bad the FATHER wasn't arrested either.

Oct 25, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Have the people in the wake of a crime like this ever not seemed shocked?

Has anyone ever said "nobody seems surprised at all. everybody knew she was pregnant and saw this coming from 10 miles away?"

Not trying to make light of it, i feel sorry for the baby and the poor girl, it's just funny how shocked people can be at the lives of people about whom they know virtually nothing.

Oct 25, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

isn't the shock more about the act and less about the individual?

Oct 25, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
ochona

most people have a little more faith in human nature than to expect someone to throw their baby in a trash bin -- therefore the shock

you just don't expect this kind of thing to happen, even after you've heard over and over again story after story where this happens

this shocks me and i have no idea who this woman is

Oct 25, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

well it also shocks me that nobody is shocked that the issue of paternity hasn't been raised yet. that shakes my faith in 'human nature'.

Oct 25, 05 11:17 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

paternity? if she had 3-4 months ago went to a free clinic we'd not even be discussing this.

Oct 25, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Crumpets

Maybe the father wasn't aware that he was a father.

Oct 25, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 

crumpets is probably right. If a girl is keeping that quiet from the people she lives with and goes to class with, telling the father would only be a liability. I mean, at some point he would have to say, "Hey, why are you being so secretive with everyone? Wouldn't it be better to be honest now, not just go, "surprise, I had a baby last week!" after the fact?" So she probably didn't tell a soul.

Oct 25, 05 11:34 am  · 
 · 
4arch

lateral, it's hard to say anything about the father without knowing more details of the situation. i can think of several scenarios in which it would be hard to place any blame on him:

-the woman was not certain of who the father was and did not inform men she was involved with at the time of conception she was pregnant.
-the woman knew who the father was but never told him she was pregnant.
-the father knew the woman was pregnant and attempted to take responsibility for the baby but was rebuffed by the woman.

Oct 25, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

your scenario's are typically what i expect to hear from a guy, no offense.

my first scenerio:

she may have been raped, by someone she knows or someone she didn't, some people are so ashamed they don't report it and try to go on living their lives. now tell me, if you were in that situation, how much would you want to keep that baby?

not that i condone her actions... but really, what do any of us know?

Oct 25, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

this isn't quite architecture-related but a conversation worth having

paternity is an issue here, but not the main one -- the main issue is that there is a dead baby and someone killed that baby and put it in a trash can and that's a dead baby that could have grown up and had a happy and productive life

personally i don't care who gets charged, who is to blame, what "justice" is done -- nothing will bring back the life of that baby, and that's what makes me sadder than sad

and unfortunately we have such a "culture of death" that we're more concerned about who to blame than how to prevent this from happening again

proper, responsible use of birth control would have prevented this. or just plain painful abstinence. barring that, adoption would have at least given this baby a chance to live

don't even get me started about the "free clinic" remark...what's the difference between killing your baby before it's born and after it's born?

Oct 25, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

PSP -- good point about the circumstances, she could have been raped, there i go just assuming the conception was consensual...i feel sadder now about my own prejudice and ignorance

point is, there is a dead child and that just tears me up, same as any wasted life

Oct 25, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

ochana- California even has another option on top of those. In California, you can abandon your baby at a fire station or hospital within 24 hours of the birth without any repurcussions (well, aside from the psychological ones). There was a fire station two blocks away, as well as regular trams to the USC Health Sciences Campus, which includes USC/Los Angeles General Hospital. Even for someone who had been in denial about the impending birth until it actually happened, there was definitely another option.

Oct 25, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

texas has a similar law

i just wish whomever was responsible had done it

Oct 25, 05 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

funny how times change...i recall reading how in the old roman imperial days that parents (well, legally just the father) had the right to dispose of their children up to the age of two. the reasoning was that a crippled child could be too much of a liability for anyone to bear and that some defects/conditions/whatever weren't immediately apparent in a new born. obviously, things were a little different then. but it does make me wonder sometimes why we take it for granted that parents don't have the right to kill/terminate their children. just another example of cultural bias.

i wonder if this modern young woman is familar with greek tragedy and wasn't perhaps spooked by the whole oedipus tale. but i suppose we will never really know what, if anything, that she was thinking or feeling.

Oct 25, 05 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

i agree with PSP totally. we know so little about hte situation, but yet we are so willing to express condemnation and moral indignation from the outset.

jesus i can't wait until they can bioengineer male pregnancy.

Oct 25, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ochona your premise about what's the difference assumes there isn't one, and i reject it on its face. as i tend to reject all pro-life positions.

the fact of the matter is that this is an adult woman, who certainly knew what her alternatives were and she also knew that 4 months earlier that a choice would have been legal and not criminal. as for the father he is unimportant, except for the fact that he too had a responsibility 9 months earlier and he too made a choice and his choice was legal. these two people made a decision.

the fact that she kept her pregnancy a secret from nearly everyone, can we also assume she kept it from the guy that got her pregnant??

Oct 25, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

look, i'm not supporting a murderer here... i just think that sometimes things need a little more perspective because the world we live in isn't black and white.

i agree, that she should have dropped it off at a hospital or some other place where the baby could have been taken care of properly. i also think that she could have exercised her choice of not having the baby at all. but how many of you have given birth to a child? let's face it, it's a scary event in itself and chances are she was also highly hormonal and afraid and didn't know what to do and just acted without thinking.

for not being prepared, i do blame her.

but, the fact that she isn't saying anything to defend herself is in it's own right a show of guilt. and not that that absolves her of the consequences, but i don't think it's fair that you're turning her into a monster. it's not as if she took a knife to that child's throat.

Oct 25, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

innocent until proven guilty in a court of law

once again, i just grieve for the child

Oct 25, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

my theory on why males react with such disgust upon hearing about abortions or mothers killing newborns they can't bring up is because men have no such control over life (the baby's life) at that point. i think the expression of such disgust and relegating the woman to a role of 'monster' in these cases where woman has control over life is related to many people who espouse pro-life doctrine out of a fear of women's control over reproduction.

moving on, but how about dem herzog and demeuron?

Oct 25, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

yeah, all my moral beliefs and principles are, in the end, based on my shriveled man-child ego, now that i think about it.

disgusting.

Oct 25, 05 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

yeah disgusting isn't it

Oct 25, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

no it's not your man-child ego. i never said anything about ego did i?

but i'm sure you're a nice guy from the midwest with good, solid values anyway. more power to you.

Oct 25, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i'm from texas, but i guess that proves your "point" even more, huh?

MY point is that i have no fear of women's control over reproduction. ask my wife, i'm all about 50/50 -- i'd carry the baby for 4.5 months if i only could. hell, i'd carry the baby during the heavy 4.5 months if possible.

there is, once again, a dead child involved in this issue -- and i actually do care about children. i actually have a pretty heavy heart every time i read a story like this. it really does make me sad that so many babies don't get the chance to have productive, happy lives.

my wife was adopted in korea in 1980 -- i guess if her biological mother had more "control" over reproduction my wife might not be around

Oct 25, 05 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Hmmm, I guess that I should clarify once again that I am female. But I have little sympathy for this woman, since I know not only the plethora of resources available in the USC area for this sort of situation, but also how incredibly well publicized they are. Seriously, the USC health center runs an ad at least once a week (a full-pager, too, not some dinky little thing) talking about their many resources, counseling, etc. I would actually have supported termination of the pregnancy fully, esp. during the first trimester. But for me the threshold lies at the point where a baby can survive outside of an incubator. If you've brought a child to term, then it's your responsibility, and the least you can do is shove it off on the county/state/whatever. Don't let your own sense of shame or helplessness or whatever cause someone else that pain.

I also happen to believe that unless the father of your child is an abusive dick, you have the responsibility to tell him you're going to have his baby. People have a right to know whether they've got children or not. Who knows, he may have even helped her through this.

Oct 25, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

rationalist,
it's obvious how clouded your judgement has become because of football. most likely this woman is just trying to protect your matt, reggie, and/or lendale from some bcs rocking scandal that would threaten the trojans dominion over poll voters. this would clearly never happen at notre dame.

Oct 25, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

i should clarify, i do believe that she should go to trial and she should be convicted for the death of the child. it's atrotious that these things happen and people don't feel like they can reach out to their community and be responsible.

however, i do not think that people have the right to make insinuations about her or her lifestyle. i was trying to bring a balance to this "conversation" to shed light on possible atrocities that might have been brought against her.

but if this is a thread about bashing her then by all means go ahead... she was an irresponsible two timing whore who refused any help from her loving boyfriend and would rather see her child die than admit she was pregnant.

Oct 25, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

no at Notre Dame the priests are busy with "other" matters.

Oct 25, 05 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

PSP- I'm not sure than anyone did make insinuations about her life style aside from my guess that she had probably not told the father of the child about her condition if she hid it so determinedly from others. In fact, many brought up the possibility of holding the father equally culpable.

puddles- can we keep it to the football board, please? Quite frankly, I'm sick of you.

Oct 25, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

no one made any absolute direct remarks regarding her situation, but from my perspective i just wanted to mention that it may not have been her choice to not tell the father because the father may have been someone who had attacked her.

i just wanted to bring the other extreme case to her being in a loving relationship that resulted in a pregnancy.

Oct 25, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Pinstripe: you've suggested the father is a rapist and while no one has denied that's a very real possibility, myself included, you seem to be completely dismissive of any scenario in which the baby might have been conceived conceptually. it's the pot calling the kettle black when you're so indignant about anyone making what you feel were insinuations about the character of the mother yet you've been making insinuations about the father since your very first post in this thread.

Oct 25, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

i'm simply providing the other opinion since no one else is. if someone else had brought it up and defended it then i would have left it.

he may not have been a rapist at all and he may have been some random guy or her boyfriend. if it was someone she knew then she should have told him. i'm just trying to provide a very feasible reason for why she hadn't told anyone.

Oct 25, 05 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

chances are the person who knocked her up is an architecture student. i mean when you think about it, who did you hang with while going to school besides other architecture students. that is of course unless she was at a frat.

Oct 25, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

update: a more recent article says that she was investigated for possibly doing the same thing a year and a half ago.

Deepening the mystery, law enforcement sources said Ashcraft, a third-year architecture student at USC, also was investigated — but not arrested or charged — in April 2004 after she arrived at a downtown Los Angeles hospital having just given birth but without a baby. She told authorities the child in that earlier case was stillborn and that she had disposed of the body on her own.

This makes me think one of two things... 1)somebody needed to teach this girl about birth control. Two pregnancies in two years, for a college student, is ridiculous, and if she did kill them both, to not have learned from the first one is stupid beyond words. OR 2) she may have either thought the most recent baby was stillborn as the first one was, become confused, and 'disposed of it' under the impression that it was already dead.

And where the hell is she giving birth to these children!? In her apartment? Wouldn't somebody have heard her? I do feel very sorry for anybody who is too scared to go to a hospital to give birth. Doing that endangers them as well as the child, and unless she found a way to fool the system to save herself money (very hard in this case), she had health insurance.

Oct 25, 05 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

if that is true then she's psychotic.

Oct 26, 05 6:29 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

rationalist,

so you're sick of me? well, i'm sorry to hear that, but quite frankly i'm sick of usc's footballers winning games and usc's architecture students treating their children as lifeless garbage.

even so, my scenario of the young woman resorting to these tactics to protect the identity/reputation of an important man on campus, such as a football player, is no more ridiculous than any of the other conjecture offered on this thread.

as for keeping it to the football thread, that may not be possible. usc is a clearly identified "football school" and any discussion involving usc will inevitably include this perspective (though it may be one of many). trying to seperated the football from a football school is as fruitless as trying to separate the catholicism from notre dame or the church of scientology from sciarc.

Oct 26, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

i NEVER think of football when i think of usc...

Oct 26, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I went to a 'football school' that dominated div. 1 for a decade. I have not only kept it out of posting here (sadly, i guess, until now), but don't feel the need to interject it into every other aspect of my thankfully diverse life. A little perspective people.

life/death trumps football.

Oct 26, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

PUDDLES Notre Dame is a shit school, with racist Alumni and child molesting catholic priests, does that work for you?

Oct 26, 05 10:54 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

if in your outlook on life, playing a game has become more important than living or dying, than you have a poorly arranged value set.

i'm not saying playing/watching sports is not fun, healthy, cathartic (under the right circumstances); it has a beneficial place in society. It may be part of an individuals pursuit of life, liberty, happiness, etc., just not more important than..

Oct 26, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

oh, and i apoligize if i'm missing any intended humor in these posts, i'm kind of dense that way.

Oct 26, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm just curious to see how this young woman's story unfolds...weather or not it has a football angle. actually, the possibility of the father being another architecture student, or even teacher is more intriguing.

Oct 26, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hey Puddles are you a Notre Dame grad or are you one of those subway alums? Because if you're a grad from good ole' ND, then they need to edumacate you on the correct use of "weather" and "whether."

Oct 26, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 

SuperHeavy- puddles and I started going at it, football-wise, on the 'football' thread, before the recent USC/ND game. He has chosen to take it outside of the football thread, where I would leifer leave it there. That's as much 'inside-joke' type stuff as there is for you, or at least the reason for him addressing it all to me, personally.

There are SO many possibilities as far as fatherhood goes... rape, drunken mistake (wasn't Desmond Reed or somebody invistigated because he was somebody's drunken mistake last year? could be him, but I think people would have connected those dots by now if it were), steady or not-so-steady boyfriend, brief affair with a teacher (and yes, I'm thinking of one in particular, but he doesn't generally go for blondes), the possibilities are endless.

Oct 26, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 

ack, sorry to sully the name of Desmond Reed! I really wish we had an 'edit post' option here. It was Eric Wright.

Oct 26, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: