Archinect
anchor

What's with the Oil Spill on the Xacto blades...?

psteiner

I just recently began buying Xactos again (there wasn't a big need after graduation) and when I took out the blades they were a nasty mess. This happened on both the Number 11 blades (they come wrapped in plastic inside the box so their oil doesn't spread), and the ultility blades (just as greasy) What gives? Who do I complain to? THis really messes up model materials, Chipboard doesn't look so good with an oil slick on it.

Oct 24, 05 3:46 pm
Hasselhoff

Oil prevents rusting. Wipe them off. Same reason you store a wok (a good wok isn't stainless steel) with cooking oil on it.

Oct 24, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
AP

same goes for piano wire (used for sodering models)...during undergrad one had to be sure to wipe the wire clean or risk getting grease all over the place...

Oct 24, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

a newly honed engine cylinder gets sprayed with wd-40

Oct 24, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

hand tools should be stored in a drawer lined with a piece of scrap carpet moistened with light machine oil. the carpet prevents tools from getting scratched and nicked, and the oil prevents rusting. replace the carpet if it becomes caked with sawdust or dirt.

Oct 24, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

when you buy angle iron (steel) it comes oiled. Same reason I keep an even coat of oil on my chest at all times

Oct 25, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: